Chapter 23: Closer Than You Think

GOHAN'S P.O.V

"All right, everyone is here now." Dende announces as he quickly glances at everyone's face.

We wait momentarily for Dende to give us the information he needed to tell us.

"Get on with it already!" Vegeta became quickly impatient. Bulma scolded him.

"Right." Dende nods, "I have an idea on who Gohan's attacker might've been a while ago in that forest that burned down."

"It was that Mamoru guy, right?! He must've been that person!" I give my opinion.

The young namekian shook his head, "No. I don't think it was him; I believe it's someone else."

"Well, who could it be, Dende?" Piccolo asks with his arms folded as usual.

"He actually attends Orange Star High: His name is Ren Satoru."

"WHAT?! You're kidding! Ren attacked me?!"

"Yes." Dende answers me.

I look at Tania and could tell that she was surprised as well even if it was subtle. She didn't respond verbally however.

"I can't believe this... Ren was the one? This whole time he was right next to me." I curl my fists.

"Who's this Ren guy you're freaking out about?" Bulma joins the conversation.

"He's in the same class as Tania and I; He was the new kid earlier in the year. We're friends... Well mostly I think."

"So, this kid your friends you're "friends" with... Why would he attack you, Gohan? Besides, in order for someone to even stand up against any of us, we would be able to detect their ki no problem." Krillin shares.

"Unless they're an android." Eighteen, who stood beside the shorter man, responds.

I sweatdrop, "I'm sure Ren's not an android."

"I don't know, Gohan; You never know," Dad speaks, "We're usually surprised by the most unexpected events. A lot."

"That's for sure." Bulma nods.

"Actually, I agree with Gohan." Mr. Popo replies, "Dende has been keeping a close eye on the kid for a few days and he's human."

"Yeah; Ren is using some kind of ancient device to mask the energy radiating inside. It's genius." Dende adds

"If it's genius, how did you find him?" I ask.

"Well, remember that time your school was attacked? I was able to see what was going on down there and figured out a way to trace the attacker without having to detect their ki."

"Tell us, man." Yamcha, who was next to the calm Tien, urges.

"I can see what's happening on the earth; I watched closely for any clues while Tania was defending the school from that large beast. A bird had some sort of camera wrapped around its feet and was watching the entire fight. I followed it with my eyes to see where it was headed to and that's when I realized who the real culprit was." Dende shares.