Chapter 27

Please don't hate me.  It's been FOREVER since I've uploaded. But here is a new chapter so enjoy!  Hopefully you didn't forget what the story was about.  Let me know what you think.  Comment and vote.  It's super easy and if you've made it this far I hope you let me know what you think.

****************************************************************************************************************

The day of the wedding finally arrived.  Joyce was fluttering around the room like a madwoman trying to finish the final preparations before Emma would walk down the isle. 

“Mom.” Emma whined as Joyce fluffed the dark ebony wedding dress gain.

Kayla sat perched on a stool out of the way.  She examined Emma’s dyed black hair, the ringlets that fell gently around her face, the makeup that made her blue eyes pop.  She wished for a moment that Emma would let her thick blonde hair grown out again.

Aimlessly Kayla’s mind wandered back to Scott.  They had talked on the phone once since they had parted.  Scott had said he was busy with some business thing his dad had pushed on him but the distance between them was heartbreaking.

“Mom.”  Emma said again in an exasperated tone.  Emma looked flushed.

“Everything has to be perfect.”  Joyce mumbled as she stepped to Kayla and dusted her face with some kind of powder.  She ran her fingers through Kayla’s black locks and then stepped back to examine her.

Honesty Kayla felt a little out of place.  She was wearing a tight black dress that barely hit her knee.  The sleeves and neckline sat comfortably but black tight things were not her cup of tea.  But she kept reminding herself that this was Emma’s wedding and she only had to stay in the dress and stiletto black heels for a couple more hours.

“I hear the music.”  Emma shrieked as she reached for a tube of dark red lipstick and lathered it on her lips.  She grabbed her bouquet of rich red roses.

“Hurry.”  Joyce said as she pushed Kayla through the door to walk ahead of her sister.  Being the bridesmaid, yet again, was not as thrilling as it should be.

When Kayla exited the room she found her father standing on the other side of the door waiting patiently for his other daughter.  His eyes grew wide when he was what Kayla was wearing.

“I know.”  Kayla mumbled as she pulled the hem of the dress.

“You look very pretty Kayla. It may not be your style, but your very pretty.”  Her father comforted.

Kayla wobbled on the hills and tried to look confident and happy as she walked the isle to the front where the preacher was standing to perform the ceremony.

She heard a whisper go through the crowd and she knew her beautiful sister had started to walk.  The music gently filled the chapel as Kayla made it to the front and watched her sister walk the rest of the way.  Emma looked absolutely stunning and Tom looked absolutely stunned as he watched her glide down the isle with her father escorting her.  Kayla hoped Tom realized how lucky he was to get her sister.

The wedding proceeded nicely, vows were exchanged, the kiss was stunning, and then the family of both sides lined up to shake everyone’s hands and give a million hugs.

Soon that awful glaze fell over Kayla’s face.  Emma and Tom had invited tons of people and all of them felt the need to go through the line.  One by one Kayla smiled and told the person who she was and she’d hug him or her or shake their hand and the next person would step up and it would start all over again.