Chapter 9

Scott debated all Wednesday morning whether or not to peak into the window of Kayla’s antique shop.  He had promised her that he would stay out of her store…after all, she did show up for dinner and had the courtesy to stay and eat.  He did not, however, tell her that he’d stay off the street next to her store.

Kayla was hard to figure out.  She seemed self sufficient and strong but at the same time there was a weakness that Scott could see every time he looked into her eyes.  Her mother had told him she had a heard life and maybe that was the reason Kayla was so cold.  He still couldn’t figure her out; usually the girls would date him in a second but Kayla…

************************************************************************

Kayla sat in her empty store.  She had to admit to herself that life had been a lot more interesting when Scott was stocking her.  Kayla scolded herself for letting her thoughts linger on Scott again… and their, embarrassing, moment in his hallway in his house.  She wished she hadn’t made him promise to stay away.  Kayla scolded herself for this thought as well.

“Speak of the devil” Kayla mumbled to herself when she looked through her big glass window at the front of the store and saw Scott standing on the other side smiling and staring at her.  He waved when he caught her eye.  Kayla felt a little strange…how long had he been looking at her?

Kayla shook her head when Scott stopped waving and looked sheepishly at the ground.  She began to fidget as she debated what to do.  On one hand she was livid that the man would dare come back but on the other hand a small burst of excitement wanted to erupt from her soul.  She decided to go yell at him…or something.

As she made her way to the front door Scott made his way to the door as well.  She opened it and Scott shifted from one foot to the other as Kayla stood silently in front of him.  She wanted him to speak first.

He didn’t say anything though.  “What?”  She finally broke down and snapped at him.

Scott looked through the front window again.  “You see that little blue glass doll.  I want to buy that.”  He said pointing and squinting through the window.  Kayla sighed.  If she wasn’t angry she might have laughed at the situation.  Scott somewhat resembled a small boy looking into a candy shop.

“That’s not why you came.”  Kayla said as she crossed her arms across her chest and stood her ground.  She was sure that wasn’t the reason he was standing in the hot late summer sun.

Scott surprised her with what he said next.  “You’re right.  I actually came to see you.”

Speechless Kayla narrowed her eyes then turned to go back into the store.

“Wait!”  Scott’s called after her.  He sounded a little desperate but Kayla went into her store and let the door close behind her.

Only the door never closed completely.  When Kayla turned around she found Scott holding it open but still standing outside.  “I’m outside.” He proclaimed.  Kayla rolled her eyes.  She had been rolling her eyes so much at him lately she was afraid that one of these times they would roll right out of her head.

“What is it going to take to get you to leave me alone?” She fumed.

“A date.”  Scott blatantly stated.  He seemed out of breath, as if he’d just ran a 10K.

Butterflies started to swarm in Kayla’s stomach.  She suddenly felt out of breath too.  Something in her head screamed to tell him she would go but a bigger part of her told her to stay away from the dating thing.  She couldn’t allow herself to get hurt again, and Scott looked like the type of man who had a date with a different girl every night.