Chapter 8

Another Chapter!  :)  Comment, Vote...etc, etc, etc....

*************************************************************************************************************

Kayla sat in her parent’s car.  She groaned as her dad looked back and motioned for her to join them.  How had she let her parents talk her into this?  She debated whether to walk home or just stay in the car until dinner was over.  Her dad motioned to her again.  Kayla reluctantly removed herself from the car and headed up the freshly paved and dried sidewalk. 

The major changes to Kayla’s grandma’s house popped out at her first.  The sidewalk was no longer cracked, the evergreen that had been taller than the house was missing, in its place a small ornamental tree.  The shutters were now white instead of the green that her grandma had loved so much.  The door was new as well so was the décor on the porch.  Kayla doubted she had the guts to see the rest of the house.

As Kayla and her family waited for the door to be answered after ringing the new doorbell, that had never existed when her grandma lived there, she thought back through the week.  Her parents had pestered her everyday about this Friday’s dinner with Mr. Emery.  Scott himself had shown up to her antique shop almost everyday.  When he visited he’d always purchase something, as if that was why he came to her store.  Coral had even done some pestering.  Now, standing on the porch Kayla knew she’d made the wrong choice by coming.  She felt sick.

But just as she was about to make a run for it the door opened and low and behold Scott stood on the other side with a wide grin on.  He already knew Kayla would be there, she had told him the last time he’d shown up at her store.  In fact, she had him promise her that if she came he’d never step foot in the store again.  Yes, she’d loose a customer but she’d manage.

“Come in.”  Scott said as he stepped aside to let Kayla’s family enter.  Kayla squeezed past Scott and felt the warmth of his skin on her arm.  She shivered and Scott seemed to notice.  He smiled.

“Come and sit right in here.  Dinner is just about ready.”  Scott said as he directed the family into the once piano room.  Now instead of an old out of tune grand piano several modern black chairs sat strategically placed about the room.  A fresh coat of white paint covered the walls and white carpet claimed the floor where once laid shaggy orange and green colored carpet.  The room looked very good but Kayla couldn’t let herself think that.  She had to stay angry that he’d changed her grandma’s house.

“Are you implying that you cook?”  Kayla asked just as Scott was about to leave the room.  He had said dinner was just about ready and know he was leaving.  Did he cook the meal Kayla wondered.

Scott stopped and looked at Kayla’s parents then back at her.  He smiled graciously.  “I wish I had the talent.”  He stated simply before he left the room.

“Why did I come?”  Kayla complained as she plopped down on one of the chairs.  She could tell her parents felt uncomfortable in the room but Kayla pretended otherwise.  Cody was unusually quiet.  When he had finally put two and two together he’d protested the dinner whole heartedly.  Cody didn’t care for Scott.

“This room looks so different.  It looks…better.”  Kayla’s mom said as if she were unsure of herself.

Kayla snorted but remained quiet otherwise.  Scott came back in the room a few minutes later and seated himself in the only empty chair.  Had he made sure before everyone showed up that he had enough chairs in the room?  Kayla didn’t doubt it; Scott was that kind of guy.

“The cooks say it’ll be done in about ten minutes.”  Scott happily announced.

“What are we having?”  Joyce asked when the silence had almost reached a whole minute.