Prologue

****PLEASE READ****

Hi!  I'm so glad you decided to read my story.  It really means a lot to me.  Unfortunately I've been really busy lately so even though this is a complete story it's not quite "complete."  What I mean is I've not had time to edit it yet.  If you have any suggestions while you're reading this please let me know.  I want to make it better.

Also, the ending is not quite how I'd like it.  So....I'll be changing it when I find the time to do so.  Thanks again for reading.  Just know that there may be some changes in the future but as for now this is as good as it gets.

Happy Reading!

*************************************************************************************************************

Comment and Vote!!!!  I want to know what you think.      :)  

OH! And this is a story that takes on several people's perspective.  When there is a line it means it's switching to a new perspective.

And one more thing... the pictures on the side are made by TheKeyofE.  If you want her to make you a cover or make you pictures like those just head over to her page and ask!  She's totally willing to help out!

*****************************************************************************************************************

Kayla Johann stood in the room just off the main chapel where her wedding was supposed to be taking place.  Her white dress elegantly hung around her body.  Her happily ever after was supposed to have begun thirty minutes ago.

“Is he still not here?” Emma, Kayla’s older sister huffed loudly as she fiddled with the lace on her maid of honor dress.

Joyce, Emma and Kayla’s mother, threw a concerned look in the direction of the bride and then towards Emma. “I’m sure he ran into a little trouble.” She said for the hundredth time.

Emma glanced at Kayla.  “Maybe he’s not coming.” She finally said.  All three girls in the room had been thinking it but Emma, like always, was the first to say it.

“He’s coming.” Joyce persisted as she ruffled the fabric on Kayla’s gown.

A deathly silence filled the cramped room.  Just an hour earlier they were rushing to complete the long list of things that needed to be done before a wedding.  Now the room was a mess and all three stood limply staring at everything but the clock and each other.

“Maybe he’s not.” Kayla said suddenly.  “Maybe he’s just not coming.” She said again.  This time with a little more fervor.  She turned to her mother who stood with her mouth slightly open.  “We really need to stop pretending.” Kayla announced boldly even though it hurt to say the words.

“Let’s give him ten more minutes dear.” Joyce said as she rubbed the edge of her lacy dress.  “I’m sure he’s on his way.”

“No mom, he’s not coming.  We’ve called him so many times, dad went to his house, and none of the groomsmen have shown up yet.  He’s not coming.”  Kayla was shocked she had let the words come from her mouth.  All her live she’d never said anything bold, nor had she ever taken command.

Kayla began to unpin the veil from her striking black hair.  She tossed it limply to the ground and slipped of the shoes that were on her feet.  Her mother and sister stared at her, unable to move.

“Mom, you need to tell everyone there’s not going to be a wedding.” Kayla finally said quietly.  She was dreading that part most.  She had aunts and uncles in the other room that had flown across the country to see her wedding.  Two of her best friends, Coral and Susan, had traveled from Paris where they were studying art, just to see her wedding.

“Let’s try calling him again.” Joyce offered in a strained peppy voice.

“I don’t want to call him, I don’t want to see him, and I certainly don’t want to marry him.” Kayla announced as she struggled with the ties on the back of her dress.  “One of you needs to tell all those waiting people that the wedding is off.” Anger laced Kayla’s voice now.

Emma glanced at her mother and sighed.  She left the room letting her blonde curls swing back and forth wildly.  She was upset but what was Kayla supposed to do about it?  She wasn’t the one who called off the wedding without telling everyone first.

Finally the last string on the back of the gown came loose and Kayla slipped it off.  She began dressing in the clothes she had been wearing when she had arrived at the church, sweats and an oversized hoodie.  She ran her hand through the thick mess of frozen curls to loosen them up a bit.  She could smell the overpowering smell of hairspray and gel.

Joyce stood by the door that was open a crack and watched as Kayla washed the makeup off her face and gingerly placed the gown into the dust bag.  Finally Emma came into the room.  She looked pale and shaken.  It had taken a lot of guts to tell the guest that the wedding was not to be.

Brian, Emma and Kayla’s father, tapped lightly on the door before he entered.  Behind him Cody stood looking rather dashing in his tux.  It had taken a lot of bribing to get the fifteen year old to wear the tux, cut his blonde hair and leave his video games for the day.

“Honey, I don’t know what to say.” Brian softly whispered.

“Don’t say anything then.” Kayla spat out.  She did not want to be pitied; she just wanted to be alone.

 Brain walked over to Joyce and tenderly wrapped her in an affectionate hug.  Joyce had begun crying by now.  “I’m going home.” Kayla announced as she grabbed a few of her items that were on top of the mess.  She decided she couldn’t stay to help with the clean up.

Kayla pushed past her family and Cora and Susan who were walking to the small room.  They said something to her but all Kayla felt was numb, all she heard was a dull buzzing noise that threatened to take over.

 ****************************************************************************************************************

Scott Emery thought back to his conversation he had had the night before with his fiancé.  June had said some pretty nasty things to him and then expected him to go on as she walked out of his life forever.

He just couldn’t understand why she suddenly didn’t want to marry him.  He was wealthy, good-looking, and treated her with kindness.  Every single girl in the world would love to have him as a husband…expect one, June.

What had she told him?  That he was self-centered, stuck on himself, vein, and checked out ever girl that walked past.  It sounded to Scott that poor June was jealous.   He had a few choice words for her as well.  She didn’t care about her appearance half the time, she hardly wore make-up, and her hair got frizzy when it was wet. 

‘She doesn’t deserve me’. Scott thought to himself as he dappled on some of his expensive cologne.  ‘There are so many other girls out there that would love to be with me and now I’m free to choose one of them.’ He thought.  He was now free, free!