Chapter 19

“What is this?”  Kayla asked as she took the note from Emma.

“I found it wedged in the door.”  Emma replied nonchalantly.

Kayla examined her sister and then shrugged.  She flipped the letter over and looked at her name hastily scribbled across the front.  One thing was for sure, it wasn’t Emma’s handwriting.  Without a second thought Kayla opened the note. 

Without her permission she took a quick intake of breath.  It was from Scott.  He wanted to meet her…he wanted to meet her today in the park.  Kayla looked up at her sister who looked curious about the note.

“It’s from him.”  Kayla simply stated. 

Emma grabbed the note and read it.  A small smile flickered across her face and she looked up Kayla.  “Are you going to meet him?”  She asked.

“I have nothing to say to him.”  A dark look fell over Kayla’s face as she reached for the note in Emma’s hands.  Emma let the note slip from her fingers as Kayla took it from her.

“You should at least go and see what he has to say.”  Emma suggested.

Kayla crumpled the note in her hand and threw it on the counter.  “I’m over him.  I just want to go home.”  She finally whispered.

***************************************************************************************************************

Scott paced the little strip of cement that lined the pool.  Tori was sitting on a little floating chair in the middle of the pool and splashing her feet in the water.  “Come and join me.”  She said in her most over-romantic voice ever.

Scott waved his hand in her direction to let her know he wasn’t interested.  He was too preoccupied with the fact that it was almost noon and Tori was no where near ready to leave his house.  How was he going to get rid of her?

“Come on Scotty.”  Tori begged.  Scott cringed; he hated it when she called him that.

“Not today.”  Scott said back through clenched teeth.

“You ruin all the fun.”  Tori pouted.  “Grab a chair and float by mine.”  She sappily added.

Scott suddenly had a brilliant idea.  Without a second thought or a warning Scott ran and dived into the pool sending a huge splash in Tori’s direction.  He didn’t care if he was dressed in his everyday clothes; he needed to get rid of Tori as bad as that sounded.  When his head resurfaced the water he heard Tori’s squeals. 

“How could you do such a thing!?”  She bellowed in her high nasally voice.  “My hair took me hours to do this morning…not to mention my makeup.  And I’m pretty sure my bathing suit is a dry clean only.”  Tori whined.  The last sentence she said made no sense to Scott.  He didn’t know they made swimming suits that weren’t supposed to get wet. 

“Push me over to the edge so I can get out of this horrid water.  Now I’m going to have to go home and our whole afternoon is ruined.” Tori demanded.  Scott couldn’t help but celebrate…internally of course.

Scott pushed Tori’s little floating chair to the edge where Tori hurriedly climbed onto the cement and tried to wring out her hair.  She flipped open her little mirror and examined her makeup.  Scott had really drenched her, he smiled but not so Tori could see.

“The whole day is ruined.”  Tori continued to complain.  “I have to go home now.”

Scott climbed out of the pool and shook his head wildly to get the water out of it.  He made sure it sprayed onto Tori and tired not to laugh as she snapped at him.