Chapter 12

“You said that to him!?” Coral asked after Kayla had just filled her in on their date.  Somehow Coral was able to place two and two together and was the first to find out Kayla had gone on a date with Scott.

“What was I supposed to do?  I’m not ready to date.”  Kayla defended herself.

“If I were you I’d march over to his house right now and hope that he can find it in his heart to forgive you.  You don’t even know the guy…what if he turns out to be the perfect one.”  Coral was clearly in love with Scott.  Kayla saw this the first time the two of them had met.

“What was I supposed to say…sorry but don’t ask me out for another date.”  Kayla dropped her plastic plate into the sink and let it clink around before it came to a stop over the drain.

“You’re so stubborn Kayla.  Todd was just one man.  Not every guy is going to leave like Todd did.  It’s time to start over Kayla.  I can see you want to…I can see you don’t want to be alone the rest of your life.  You pretend like you want to, you pretend to hate men, you pretend you’re so tough, but I can see that what you’re doing is putting up a wall to protect yourself.  Kayla, Scott is a good guy.  Yes, he has too much money and he’s a little prideful but a few dates with him isn’t going to hurt.  He obviously likes you.”  Coral looked a little proud of her speech.  Kayla decided she should be…she’d pinned Kayla’s perfectly.

“I’m so scared Coral.”  Kayla finally whispered.

“I don’t blame you.” Coral said.  She stood up from the chair she’d been sitting on and walked over to Kayla.  She put her hands on Kayla’s shoulder and looked Kayla directly in the eye.  “Don’t let Todd ruin your life.  That’s probably what he had in mind…he wanted you to miserable the rest of your life.  Don’t let him win.” 

“What am I supposed to do?”  Kayla asked helplessly.  Tears started to form in the corners of her eyes, she brushed them away but more took their place.

“Go over there and tell him you want a second chance.  Tell him you’re sorry for the words you spoke and you want to start over.  By tonight you two should be wrapped in each other’s arms.”  Coral proclaimed.

Coral left the kitchen leaving Kayla to herself.  Could she really do that?  Could she take down the wall she’d tried so carefully to build?  Could she expose herself to heartache and pain again if it was to come around?  What if Scott left her the same way Todd had?  Could she really do that again?

“What are you waiting for?  Get over to his place.”  Coral said from the entryway to the kitchen.

Coral was right; it was time to turn over a new leaf. 

Without thinking too much about what she was about to do Kayla was soon driving in the direction of Scott’s house.  She turned on her music and cranked up the volume so she could drown out her own thoughts. She didn’t want this to be planed out; she wanted to take it as it came.  Butterflies swarmed in her stomach as she thought about being with Scott.  It was a thought she’d barely dared to think about since the day Todd had left her…being with a new man was so scary.

As she rounded the last bend in the road Kayla’s heart began to sink.  There in front of Todd’s house was a moving van.  Movers were busy bringing out loads of items from his house.  Kayla parked her car on the opposite side of the road and ran across the street.

“Excuse me.”  Kayla said to one of the movers.  “What are you doing?”  She asked him.

“Where moving this guy out…what does it look like?”  The mover stated assertively.