Chapter 24

I know this is long overdue but I've finally posted another chapter.  :D Not edited or read through or anything so I'm sorry.

****************************************************************************************************************

“I am sorry Scott.  I’m so sorry.”  Kayla mumbled in an out of control manner.  “I’m sorry.”  She said again and again.

“No Kayla it wasn’t your fault.”  Scott persisted, he didn’t know how to communicate to Kayla that this was not her fault.  Her sorrowful murmuring made him feel edgy yet protective.  She continued to apologize.

“No. Kayla.”  Scott suddenly stopped walking and as gently as possible grabbed Kayla’s shoulders and looked her in the eyes.  “This. Is. Not. Your. Fault.”  He tried to pound into her brain.

Kayla stared up at Scott with wide eyes.  The moon shown above them and illuminated the rock pathway and shrubs around them

“Scott, this night ahs been great but…” Kayla trailed off.  Scott waited patiently for her to continue.

“But this won’t work between us.” She finally said.

“No. Kayla, no.”  Scott said, or rather demanded.  “You said that once before and life was torture without you.  Give us a chance and don’t let my mom get between us!”  Scott begged.  He couldn’t loose her again, he wouldn’t allow it.  Up until his mother showed up and ruined everything he was pretty sure Kayla felt the same way…they could be together.  It could work.

Kayla released herself from Scott’s grasp and ran her fingers nervously though her hair.  She paced the drive and sighed several times.  Even though she looked distressed she was still beautiful.

“Kayla…what are you thinking?”  Scott asked, he didn’t know how to help her if he didn’t know what was running through her head.

She stopped and pointed at his house.  “Your mom hates me for one thing.”  Se said and then he saw the tears…the ones brimming in her eyes.

“Kayla…”  Scott said, he was at a loss for words and at a loss of how to help.  She dropped her head and looked helpless.  He could see the tears on her cheeks, shining in the moonlight.

Slowly Scott stepped up to Kayla and wrapped her in his embrace.  She hugged him back and Scott could feel her body shaking with her sobs.

“I’m so sorry.”  Kayla said in one swift motion.

“This. Is. Not. Your. Fault. Scott persisted again.  He let her cry for several minutes and then slowly put his hand under her chin and raised her face so she could see his eyes.

“Kayla, I love you.  You are the most beautiful woman I’ve ever met.  You’re not only beautiful on the outside but on the inside as well.  I honestly don’t care what my mom thinks about us being together and quite frankly you shouldn’t either.  She is not going to be around us forever but I want to be around you forever.”  He said with so much fervor that he didn’t know how anyone could misunderstand.  He meant it as well.

Her tears stopped falling as he pressed his lips against hers.  He felt her tears on her lips, the salt seeped through his own and onto his tongue.

Kayla pulled back and wiped the tears from her face.  Scott helped her do so.  She took a couple of tearful breaths and then stood up tall and looked in Scott’s eyes.  “I think…” She began slowly.  “I think I love you too.”

*********************************************************************

“Luckily if you end up marrying Scott you won’t have to deal with his mother too much.”  Emma tried to comfort Kayla.