Chapter 22

I know...once again I didn't read through it, probably a million mistakes.  But enjoy :p

********************************************************************************************************

Kayla couldn’t believe her eyes as she stepped into the small shop.  The walls were lined with organized bottles of perfume, makeup, hand towels…anything and everything a girl could ever dream of owning.  Nothing in the store was under fifty dollars, including the diamond studded keychain.  Kayla had a feeling the diamonds weren’t real, however.

“What will it be?”  Scott asked.

“I don’t even know where to begin.” Kayla breathed.  She had never seen so many beautiful and expensive things crammed into one place.  Emma would absolutely die if she knew where Kayla was standing now.  Window shopping couldn’t even compare to the thrill of standing inside the store.

Scott wandered to he racks of clothing but Kayla turned towards the massive wall of perfume.  The hundreds of bottles glittered as the light from the store elegantly shown on them.  She wasn’t one to drench herself in scent but Kayla did enjoy a new fragrance every so often.  Only, she always ended up buying the cheaply ten dollar ones.

Ever so slowly Kayla sniffed each glass bottle of perfume.  Each had its own lovely scent.  Soon, however, she felt a familiar presence being her.  She glanced over her shoulder and was startled to see Scott practically touching her as he looked over her shoulder.  She thought she could almost feel his breath on her cheek

Hastily Kayla grabbed the closest bottle of perfume and spun around and away from Scott.  “I like this one.”  She said, even though she couldn’t remember what it exactly smelt like.

Scott took the bottle and smelled the fragrance.  “Midnight Dream.”  He read the label on it.  “It’s wonderful.”  He added as he handed it back to Kayla.  Both of them made their way to the front desk.

Kayla tried to stifle a gasp as the total rang up to eight-eight dollars and ninety seven cents.  That price for just one bottle of perfume…and Scott paid in cash, just as he had for the dinner. 

As the two exited the shop Scott gingerly grabbed the bottle of perfume from the small bag it was in and lightly sprayed Kayla with it.  He then stepped close and took a deep breath.

“It suits you.”  He said and then the two walked to the car and headed back towards Emma’s apartment.

************************************************************************************************************

Scott soaked up the subtle flowery smell that Kayla had picked at the store.  It was a lovely smell, a beautiful smell in fact.  One that was distinct and every time he would smell it in the future he would think of Kayla.

They had a small conversation about noting in particular as they drove their way out of the streets of the city and into the housing district.

With a little bit of disappointment Scott pulled to the curb of the small apartment complex and walked Kayla up the flights of stairs to Emma’s place.  It was now time for the awkward doorstep scene…what was he to do?

“I had a very nice evening.”  He settled on saying.

Kayla leaned on the door looking comfortable, as if she were preparing for a nice long chat.

“I enjoyed it very much.”  She said and then she held up the little bag that held her new found treasure.  “Thanks.”  She added with a smile.

“You’re worth it.”  Scott said and he decided to make a move and see what came of it.  He took a small step forward and then another.  Ever so slowly he reached out and brushed his fingers against her arm.  She didn’t pull away.  He leaned in and moved closer and closer.  Kayla stood motionless against the door.

Soon his face was just inches from hers.  He felt her breath on his face and the sound came out short and labored.  He moved in and slightly bumped his nose against hers as he wrapped her in his arms.  And then it happened…she moved her head away so he ended up brushing his lips against her cheek and then he clumsily moved away quickly…trying to hide his blush.

“Goodnight.”  Kayla said in one breathless motion.

“Goodnight?”  Scott said, even to himself he sounded a bit confused.  As if in one simple word he was asking what just happened.

Kayla swiftly turned and started to unlock the door.  He thought he saw her hands shaking.  Scott started to panic.  He wanted to see her gain…he wanted to see her again tomorrow.

“Kayla.”  He said in a husky voice.  She didn’t turn back towards him.  “Are you busy…tomorrow evening?”  He asked.

“No.”  Kayla answered with her back towards him.

“Would you go out with me again?”  Scott asked as he mentally crossed his fingers that she would.

“What should I wear?”  She asked as she turned her head back to him.  A smile crept across her beautiful milky white skin. 

“Something casual.”  Scott said.  He already had the evening in mind.

Kayla nodded and said goodnight gain before entering the apartment and leaving Scott in the hall feeling happy but a bit shaky.  The scent that Kayla had picked from the store lingered in the air around him.  He had another date with Kayla.

**********************************************************************

Emma was sitting in the recliner in the living room staring at her computer screen when Kayla entered the apartment. 

“Anything interesting?” Kayla asked.  She was dying to fill Emma in on everything but Emma didn’t seem interested.

“Mom just sent me some pictures to finalize before the wedding.  You know...the usual.  Cakes, decorations.”  Emma said without looking up from the computer.

“Oh.”  Kayla answered.  Something was eating away at her sister but Kayla didn’t feel like opening a can of worms and spoiling her perfectly good evening by asking Emma what was wrong.  Instead she decided she would go to bed.  No, she’d pick her outfit out for tomorrow and then she’d go to bed.

**************************************************************************************************************

Scott entered the empty house he called home.  Tomorrow he’d bring Kayla to his house and they’d dine on a fine catered meal.  Maybe later they’d curl up by the fire and talk.  It was certainly getting cool enough for a fire wasn’t it?  Fall was just around the corner.

His parents weren’t home and wouldn’t be home for at least two more days.  They were somewhere.  Where, Scott couldn’t quite remember.  Were they in Paris or England?  Or was it his mother was in Chicago shopping and his father in Germany?  They traveled so much Scott couldn’t keep track.  Tired, Scott padded down to his bedroom and got ready to turn in.  Although he felt quite exhausted he knew he wouldn’t be able to sleep.  All he could think about was his next date with Kayla and why he’d made it so late.

*************************************************Author's Note********************************************

Questions:

1- Why are they called apartments when they are all stuck together?

2- Do you ever eat raw cookie dough?

I love raw cookie dough...yummy.  For a while I didn't eat it because of what could be crawling around in it but people have been eating it for so long and most don't die so I guess I'm safe.  I almost like the cookie dough better than the cookies...if only cookies tasted that good!