Part 49

Chapter 49

Colin eased the door closed.  As soon as it shut, he was bombarded with questions.  Ignoring them, he looked towards Peirce.  "I would like to speak with you in a place quieter."

Peirce nodded.  "Follow me."

The crowd of small people parted for Colin.  He ignored the pleading looks some of the people were giving him, but as he passed Cooper, he snagged the lads hand and pulled him with them.  Cooper may not fully understand what was happened, but Colin still did not want to leave him alone.

They walked down the corridor, down the stairs, and weaved through the halls until they reached the study.  Peirce pushed the door open, letting Colin follow in behind.  The door fell shut as the silence settled in the room.  Peirce turned towards Colin and raised an eyebrow in silent question.

"Cassie will want to find her mother," Colin explained.

Peirce nodded.  "You would like me to search for her?"

"It is what you are good at," Colin mumbled.  "There is one more thing I ask of you."

"What?"

"Will you find the lad's father, the one that we sent away?"

Rage flashed in Peirce's eyes, and his fists clenched together.  "You want me to find that man?"

"I am only asking because he will have answers.  He could be Cassie's father."

"Her father?" Peirce questioned before understanding dawned on him.  "They are siblings?"

Colin looked down at Cooper.  His big, blue eyes stared at him, and there was no doubt in Colin's mind that those eyes belonged to Cassie too.  The blonde hair that curled above the child's ears was, in fact, the same hair Cassie had.  "I think they are."

"Why had I not noticed it before?" Peirce questioned with a shake of his head.  "The two of them look remarkably alike."

Colin nodded in agreement.  "I wondered why I did not put the pieces together.  It just reminds me that you can never trust people, no matter how close they are to you."

"Colin," Peirce began with narrowed eyes, "are you telling me that you do not trust neither I nor Cassandra?"

"I trust the two of you," Colin whispered, "but you are the only ones who have gained that right."

"Good.  Now, I will take my leave.  I think you have a certain child who would love to see our Cassie."

Cooper's hand tightened on Colin as if the lad was telling him how much he wanted to see his newfound mother.  With a nod, Peirce left the study.  Colin went to follow him before hesitating.  Kneeling in front of Cooper, Colin waited until they made eye contact before saying, "You are my son.  No matter what happens in life, you will be my heir.  You will be my first-born.  I want you to remember that when times become rough.  When you decide to question your heritage, remember who you are to Cassie and me."

Cooper stared at Colin.  The boy did not utter a sound, but, for some reason, Colin had a feeling that he understood every word he had told them.  Rising to his feet, he grabbed Cooper's hand once more and led him out the room.  He made the trip back to Cassie's room as fast as he could.  He did not like leaving her alone, even with all her loved ones nearby.

As he reached her door, he counted heads.  They were all still standing outside of his chamber.  They all wanted in, but Colin refused them admittance.  Until Cassie was in full health, no one but Cooper and him were going in there.  Pushing the chamber door open, he glanced over at his future wife.  Her hand was curled over Will's chest.