Part 22

Chapter 22

Colin smiled at the panic evident on his wife's face. Did she realize that she looked ready to bolt, because in his mind he could picture her running in the opposite direction? He waited as she took a step into his bedchamber. Walking in behind her, he quickly shut the door. She could still flee if she wanted, but the shut door symbolized the fact that she made her decision.

"Would you like to change into your nightgown? I do not think Cooper has any suitable clothing so he will have to wear what he has," Colin told her while making his way towards his wardrobe.

"Yes, thank you. I will be right back," she told him as she darted towards the door.

Colin shifted his body to step in front of her. Thrusting his nightgown out, he said, "Here wear mine. I have two."

She grabbed it and looked down with an unreadable expression on her face. Colin could only guess what she was thinking. She was most likely wondering how insane her new husband was, and Colin wasn't going to tell her the real reason he gave her his night clothes. He was afraid that as soon as she left this room, she wouldn't be coming back.

"Thank you," she whispered while staring at him. When he did not move, she let out a sigh, “Will you please turn your back so I may dress?"

He stifled a smile as he thought about the other times she asked that same question. Turning his back, he listened as she grunted and groaned. He wanted to turn and see what she struggled with, but he didn't want to betray her trust. Even small actions like these could show her what kind of man he was.

"I am finished," she called out.

Turning, the smile he had on his face slipped off and a possessive feeling rushed through his body. That was his. It was his wife wearing his clothes. He had never seen a sight more wonderful in his life.

"Colin? Colin! Are you feeling well? You have the strangest look on your face," Cassie said while tilting her head to the side.

Colin's lips rose in another smile, "I am perfectly fine. Now, where do you want to sleep?"

"On the bed," she answered while giving him the same look of confusion.

Colin looked over at the bed then back at the two people standing in front of him. How could he maneuver everyone so that Cassie slept next to him? She would want to sleep by Cooper, but Cooper couldn't sleep by the edge. The lad might roll off in his sleep. Letting out a frustrated sigh, he grabbed his other nightgown.

"You do not have to turn, but if you wish to avoid seeing anything, I would advise you to do so," he said while pushing his trousers down. As he pulled his shirt over his head, he peaked over at her. As he expected, her back was facing him. He pulled the nightgown over his head and waited for it to fall in place before saying, "I am done."

She turned, and Colin noticed the red that was spreading up her neck and onto her cheeks. His earlier frustrations left him as he gave her a timid smile. He hadn't thought about how hard this would be for his wife. He hadn't thought about the fact that this would be the first time she purposely slept in a man's bed.

"You will be fine, Cassandra. Come, Cooper can lie in the middle, and we will lie on the sides," he told her while throwing back the duvet.

She nodded in his direction, but if he wasn't mistaken, he saw an expression of disappointment cross her face. He slipped underneath the bedding and waited until he felt the bed dip with Cassie and Cooper's combined weight. Soon, a small body was snuggled into his side.

He wished it was a different body clinging to him, but this was, for some reason, just as comfortable. Looking down at Cooper, he brushed the boy's blond hair out of his face. He was a cute lad.