Part 34

Chapter 34

"You two are beginning to scare me," Peirce called out from across the room.

Colin glanced up at his friend and smiled.  "Why would we be doing that?  We are only cleaning like you ordered."

"You look at each other and smile secret smiles.  Are you planning something?" he asked in suspicion.

"Of course not," Cassie told him while smiling in Colin's direction.  "We are just happy.  Would you not be happy?  Were you not happy when your wife first told you she loved you?"

Colin sobered.  What was Cassie doing?  Did she not know better by now?  Peirce did not like to talk about his past; Cassie bringing it up did no good for anyone.

"She never did," Peirce mumbled while turning his back towards them.

Cassie left his side to walk towards Peirce.  Reaching out, she grabbed Peirce's shoulder and turned him towards her.  "She was an idiotic woman.  Anyone who could not love you was destine to be miserable her entire life.  The only thing I wish was different is that your child did not have to die with her."

"I did not want her to die, Cassandra.  It may not have been the happiest marriage, but I loved them.  They were my life."

She grabbed his hand as he tried to pull away.  "I know you did not want her to die.  Nobody as kind as you would ever wish that upon a person.  Even I would never wish for someone's death, but you cannot control how God works.  If He thought it was time for them to leave, it was time."

"I know, but it does not make things easy.  No matter how much time has gone by, I will always miss them," he told her with a tiny smile.

Colin watched as she smiled back at his friend.  How did he get so lucky?  How did Colin find a person like Cassie to love him? 

"You have to move on though, Peirce.  I want to see you happy.  You're my friend.  Just promise me that you will try," Cassie said.

Peirce nodded at her and pressed a kiss to her cheek.  "I promise.  Now, finish sweeping.  Your parents should be here soon, and I do not want them to think I cannot keep house."

"Do you think they will come?" she asked with excitement evident in her voice.

Peirce smiled at her and pushed her in Colin's direction.  "If you were my daughter, I would visit.  I have no doubt that your father will be knocking down our door shortly, and look at this floor, it's still not in order."

She let out a laugh and walked back to Colin's side.  Grabbing the broom, she began sweeping the dirt from the ground.  Colin just shook his head in marvel, she was a fascinating woman.  A woman he knew he would never tire of.  Holding the rag he had, he made his way towards the table and closer to Peirce.  He wanted to make sure his friend was well.

The rag swept the dust lining the table leaving a clean streak of dark wood.  The color was beautiful, but Colin was not worrying about that now.  Inching closer to Peirce, he whispered to his friend, "How are you?"

Peirce glanced at him with a genuine smile.  "She helps even if she does not mean too.  You found a wonderful woman, my friend.  Make sure you keep her happy."

"What does that mean?" Colin asked in mock anger while narrowing his eyes playfully.

Peirce laughed at him.  "The men around here will notice what a wonderful woman she is.  I do not think Cassandra is one that will wonder, but if you act even a little like your father did, I will help her leave.  I will kidnap her and find a man that will keep her happy if that is what it takes.  I will not let you destroy her like your father did your mother."

For the second time today, Colin's playful mood disappeared to be replaced by seriousness.  "I will not turn into my father, and if I do, I give you my permission to help her leave me.  I do not want that life for Cassie either."

"Good, we are in agreement.  Now, start cleaning."

"Yes, my Lord," Colin joked bringing the happy mood back into the room.

Peirce pushed Colin causing him to take a step closer to his work.  Shaking his head, he began wiping it down.  Glancing over, he watched Cooper place the flowers in a new vase and arrange them until the lad seemed satisfied.  Colin shook his head.  If the child wanted to play with flowers all day, Colin would happily pick them for the lad.  They were family, and the boy was now a permanent part in his life.  Colin could not be more content.

"Do you hear that?" Cassie whispered. 

Colin stopped his work to listen.  There it was the sound of men and horses.  Swiping the table quickly, he tucked it in his pocket and looked towards Cassie with a nervous expression.  Would her father attempt to take her from him?  Colin would not allow it.  She was his wife.

Cassie smiled at him while holding her hand out.  "Do not worry.  He cannot take me away from you."

Colin gripped her hand and grabbed Cooper.  Shifting the lad so he could hold him comfortably, he walked out of the dining area and into the foyer.  He took a deep breath before pulling the door open.  Looking out, he froze.

"Cassandra, that does not look like your father."

She took a step forwards and gasped.  "It's not.  I wonder why he is here.  He hardly ever leaves."

"He must care about you a lot," Colin mumbled with a sigh.  His life just got more complicated.

***Cover by Little_ifrit***