Part 27

Chapter 27

Colin glanced around before tossing the dress towards Cassie. She caught it with a smile. Reaching up, she pulled Ramsey's clothes off the tree and set the dress in its place. Their steps were light as they made their way back towards the manor. Looking over at her, Colin asked, "What if he does not put it on? I would wrap it around my body."

She shook her head at him. "You do not know Ramsey. He will be so furious that I did the same thing to him as he did to me that he will not even think about his actions. Him slipping the dress on will be like second nature."

"You really read people well," Colin stated while shooting her an admiring glance.

"No," she told him, "I have known Ramsey since he was a child. The boy could not do anything that would surprise me."

Colin nodded in acknowledgement. It was the same with Peirce and him. Once a person was around another for so long, their actions became predictable. Looking over once more, Colin knew that no matter how much time he spent with his wife, he would never find her predictable.

"Are you positive this will work?" he asked as they halted next to the horses.

"If you can do your part, it will work," she assured him while tightening the saddle. His hand shot to help her up, but he did not need to make the effort. She had already hoisted herself up. His eyes traveled up her body and settled on her face. Colin received a dash of reality as he gazed at her regal figure. Her back was straight as she sat sidesaddle. The air of a queen surrounded her making him remember that she was once called 'The Princess'.

"Colin," she said making him look into her eyes, "It was my past. To be frank, I have had more fun here in the past week than I have had my entire life in London. I feel free here, Colin. No worries about how people view me. I love it here. I promise."

He smiled at her. "Will you always be there to reassure me?"

"Always," she whispered before cracking the reins. Fury took off towards the woods leaving Colin standing in a dirt cloud. Waving his hand in front of him, he tried to clear the air. He did not want to miss the show his wife was about to put on.

Settling back, he watched as it all fell into place. Ramsey came from the trees with a furious expression on his face. The dress clung to his body. Colin laughed as he watched the fabric bulge at the seams. Soon, the man would fall into Cassie's trap.

Ramsey's face turned from rage to shock as Cassandra came from his right. Turning away from the beast now on his tail, Ramsey ran towards the house. He did not make it far because soon, he was lying face down on the ground. Colin let another chuckle slip through his lips while Ramsey rolled over. His face turned into disgust as the syrup coated his body.

Standing, his feet slid until finally finding purchase on the ground. Taking off, he was almost to the manor door when it flung open on its own. Peirce and Cooper stood there with bags in their hands and smiles on their faces. Colin watched as Ramsey's body tensed as if he was waiting for the attack that was soon to follow.

Cooper's tiny arms flung out, dumping the contents of the bag onto Ramsey's lower half while Peirce took a step forward to pour it over his head. Hearing the sound of hooves coming from behind him, Colin turned to see his wife slumped over. Her laughter shook her entire body, but she managed to stay on the horse. Walking towards her, he lifted her from the creature.

"Do you think he learned his lesson?" she asked with mirth shinning in her eyes.

He nodded at her. "The man is covered in flour and is wearing a dress. I think he has had enough for one day."

"I do not think he has had enough, but for now, I'll leave him alone."

"Cassandra," he said while motioning to Ramsey, "The boy came from his bath only to find a dress. He put the thing on, got frightened by your horse just so you could manipulate him into going in the right direction, and slipped in oil that you coated the ground with, rolled in syrup, and then was covered in flour. I think the lad has had enough."

"He may have hurt himself when he fell," she told him as she bit her lip.

"You used way too much oil and syrup," he responded.

She glared at him. "I did not know for sure that he would fall, and I needed enough syrup to guarantee he would roll into it."

"Did it mean that you had to use all of it? Despite what you may believe, I enjoy having syrup with my meals."

Her nose crinkled in disgust as she began walking towards the manor and a furious Ramsey. "What would you like me to believe? That you pour it on your duck? Do you coat it in syrup to give it more flavors?"

"No," he answered, "but having it for other types of meals would be nice."

"Why are we talking about this?" she asked with a frustrated voice.

Colin wasn't convinced she was angry with him for he could see the smile lifting the corner of her mouth. "You like to hear my voice?"

Her steps faltered, and she sent him a tiny glare. "You think too highly of yourself."

He opened his mouth to respond, but his wife's squeal cut off any words he may have said. Ramsey grabbed her in a tight hug. As the cousins pulled apart, Colin could see the flour now coated Cassie. He bit the inside of his cheek to keep from laughing at the disdain clear on her face.

"It was good enough for me, but not for you, dear cousin?" Ramsey mocked.

Her head snapped up. The glower on her face made Ramsey's smile slowly fall until it disappeared completely. The man's eyes darted around, before he took off into the manor with Cassie on his heels.

"They are quite a pair," Peirce remarked with an amused smile.

Colin nodded at him. "It makes me wonder if they were like this before or if this is a new development."

"I think it is something that neither of them has experienced for a while. They both need it," Peirce told him.

Reaching down, he grabbed Cooper's hand. "Come on, lad. Let us save your cousin from your mother."

"She will not hurt him," Cooper said with confidence.

"No," Colin replied, "Cassie would never hurt him."

Cooper gave him a tiny smile and nodded his head. Pulling on his hand, Cooper led him to where Cassie had run. Before he could even see them, Colin could hear then yell back and forth. Quickening his steps, he threw Cassie's chamber door open only to see the two lying on the floor holding their stomachs.

Laughter spilled from their lips as they looked at one another. A smile of his own covered his face. This was what family sounded like. This was what family looked like. For once, Colin had something he had longed for as a child, a family.