Part 19

Chapter 19

"You just notch the arrow like this, pull back, and let go," Colin told Cooper who looked at him with a vacant expression.

Colin let out a sigh. He had been working with the child all morning, and nothing he did brought them closer together. He tried teaching him how to shoot a bow, and he tried to teach him how to ride a horse. Nothing would work. The boy did not like anything Colin had to offer.

Plopping to the ground, he sat with his legs crossed. He stared at the boy in contemplation. What could Colin do to make them become closer?

"Where did you retire?" Colin asked the lad.

Cooper tilted his head. "Mum."

"You slept with her? I envy you that," Colin grumbled. Cassandra had not slept in his bed the night before. For some reason, now that she was in his bed once, he couldn't sleep without her there again.

As he lay in bed, all he could smell was her scent. He would attempt to turn his head away, but soon his nose would seek the pillow she had used. Nothing could cure the alertness he felt every time his face pressed into her pillow.

When he had gotten a couple hours of sleep, he awoke to the sun shining through his window. Eagerly, he had dressed and went into the dining area, only to find her not there. When he had questioned Peirce his friend only replied that she was in the village. Colin found it odd that she did not take the lad with her, but mayhap she was giving Colin a chance to fulfill his promise.

"Do you like to swim?" Colin asked.

Cooper shook his head no.

"Do you like to hunt?"

Cooper's face turned terrified. "Nay."

Colin bit his lip and threw his body onto the ground. Looking up at the sky, he did something that he hadn't done in a long while. He asked for help. He asked for God to give him a hint. Just one small clue as to what the lad liked. Colin just wanted to know what he could do to make them have a better relationship.

"Cooper, what do you like?" Colin questioned with suppressed frustration. Colin knew that he needed to stay calm and collected for if he lost his patience with the boy, their relationship would be forever ruined.

After minutes of getting no answer, Colin leaned up to look at the boy. A smile crossed Colin's face as he watched the boy draw in the dirt. A stick in one hand and his tongue sticking out, Cooper was drawing what looked to be a horse. What Colin found remarkable was the fact that he could recognize what animal the lad was drawing.

An idea clicked in his head. "Cooper, how would you like to do some painting?"

The boy's head snapped up and his eyes widened. "Please?"

"Of course, come I have some paints in the study," Colin replied while standing.

He waited for the boy to do the same before he picked up their discarded supplies. It would do him no good to leave them out in the open. Something tugged at his empty hand. Looking down, Colin saw Cooper's tiny hand trying to make its way into Colin's much larger one.

Colin automatically opened his hand to the lad. Cooper clutched onto his hand with a grip that surprised him. He might be a small lad, but Colin could already tell that he would be a strong one.

As soon as Colin pushed the manor door open with his leg, he dropped the supplies he was carrying. They made a loud sound as they all jumbled to the ground. Colin didn't even stop to look in their direction as he proudly walked towards the study. The lad was holding his hand. To Colin, that small fact was a miracle.