Part 42

Chapter 42

Something wet pressed against his cheek.  It was what brought him back.  Glancing over, he grimaced at Dread.  The horse must have stood by him while he lay on the ground, unaware of what was going on around him.  Pushing up into a sitting position, his head swam.  He clutched both sides of his head with his hands.  Would the pain go away?  At that moment, he would take the pain for the rest of his life if that meant Cassie was safe.

“Colin,” a voice whispered.  “Colin.”

Turning slightly, he let out a chuckle when he saw the expression on his friends face.  “Hello, Peirce.”

“Do not hello me,” he hissed.  “I have been looking for you everywhere, and I cannot be gone long.  Do you know who is taking care of Cooper?  That damned cousin of Cassie’s.  All the woman does is smile and nod.”

“Sounds like a good thing,” Colin mumbled while leaning back, ready to lie on the ground once more.

Hands gripped his shoulder, keeping him upright.  “You are not going to sleep on me.  Damn it all, Colin, what did you get yourself into this time?”

“It was not me.  There was a man in a hood, and Cassie.  Where is Cassie?”

“She is not here.  Where is Cassie, Colin?  What happened?”

Colin attempted to answer his friend, but pain hit again.  Closing his eyes, he decided he would sleep for a moment.  Just for a second in order to get his energy back. 

“Colin!” Peirce screamed.  Snapping his eyes open, he stared at his best friend.  The man looked like he was about to cry and worry himself to death at the same time.  Why would the man be so worried?  Cassie, someone took Cassie.

“Why did you come?” Colin asked.

Peirce smiled at him, even though the smile appeared to be forced, Colin appreciated the effort.  “I could not find anyone, but Ramsey and his sister.  What am I to do with all the visitors if I have no host?  Even Will is nowhere to be seen.”

“We were just going away for a day or so,” Colin explained quickly.  He wanted to tell Peirce everything before he could not any longer.  Even now, he could feel his energy draining.  “I followed the directions, but it must have been a trap.  A man hit me in the head from behind.  After that, I do not remember anything.  They have Cassie, Peirce.  Promise me that you will get her home no matter what.”

Peirce gently shook him in what could only be called exasperation.  “You were always dramatic, but this is uncalled for.  You will be fine, Cassie will be fine, and then you can return home with Cooper.”

“Not married,” Colin whispered.

“What do you mean you are not married?”

Colin gave his friend a tiny smile.  “I am not married.  After all I have been through to avoid it, the only time I actually wanted it to be true, and it was a lie.”

“It’s not a lie, Colin.  You may not have a paper stating it, but you and Cassie are married in every sense of the word.”

“No senses of the word,” Colin assured him.

A confused expression crossed Peirce’s face before understanding blossomed.  “None whatsoever?”  Colin shook his head.  “Well, I guess it is a good thing, since you were not married,” Peirce mumbled awkwardly.  Colin let out another tiny chuckle, ignoring the pain it caused.

Peirce’s head suddenly snapped over to the trees.  Following his gaze, Colin stared at the three people exiting the woods.  At that moment, he was thankful for this group of people who never left him alone.  If it were not for them, he would be lying dead on the cold ground.