A Sticky Situation

Chapter 26

Colin stepped in the manor and immediately knew where Cassie had run off to.  If he had not already assumed she would be in her chamber, the noise would have given her away.  Waltzing up the stairs, he had to wonder what his wife was doing to make that much noise.

Once he reached her door, he hesitated.  He did not like the fact that he would have to knock in order to gain entrance.  He also did not like that this was her chamber while his was across the hall.  Why couldn’t she just share a room with him?  Why couldn’t he walk in without giving notice?  These were the things normal married couples were privileged to.

He banged his head against the door in frustration.  If he was honest with himself, he could admit the fact that it was mostly his fault they were in this situation.  From the beginning, he could have placed her clothing in his room.  Instead of pushing his wife away, he could have attempted to woo her.

Here he was, though, standing on the outside looking in once more.  What he wouldn’t do to have one glimpse of his wife; to be able to walk up to her and pull her close when he wanted.  Images flashed through his head.  There were many things he would like to do with his wife.

The door pulled open causing Colin to stumble in.  Luckily, he caught himself on a nearby table before he fell.  The only problem was that the tray and food, which was once on the table, was now spread across the chamber floor.

Bending down, he began to scoop up the sausage and eggs that littered the ground.  He stood with each hand full of various foods.  Taking a step towards the tray, he did not notice the sausage in his path.  As soon as he stepped on it, he did what he had avoided earlier; he fell.  Not only did he fall, but the food he had in his hands was now draped over his body.

Giggles sounded in the chamber.  Colin smiled and looked over at his wife.  She stood there with her hand covering her mouth.  Her bright, blue eyes sparkled in silent humor.  For once, Colin didn’t mind that his hair was unkempt.  He didn’t mind the gooey substance that was running down his face. 

He sent her a smirk before saying, “You may laugh.”

She moved her hand and laugher filled the room.  She laughed so hard that Colin saw tears spring to her eyes.  Making a move over motion with her hand, Cassie plopped down on the ground beside him.  Grabbing part of an egg from his hair, she put it in her mouth.

“Not bad,” she said with a nod.

“You have disgusting eating habits.  I thought women were meant to be proper.  You just crushed that image,” he mumbled under his breath.

She sent him a smile.  “I’ll improve; I promise, starting with not eating with my mouth open.”

“Great start, my dear,” he said as he snagged her arm and pulled her closer.

Her head went under his chin while her arm wrapped around his waist.  Colin heard her take in a deep breath causing him to smile.  Was she trying to take in his scent like he had done with her?  The thought gave him hope.  Maybe they could be more like a married couple.

“Would you like to know what they did?” she asked sleepily.

He nodded his head.  When she still did not answer, he realized that in this position, she could not see his face.  “Yes, please.”

“Ramsey had Cooper accidently kick my clothing into the river,” she told him with a small laugh.

Colin chuckled along with her.  “I am going to guess that it was not an accident.”

“Unless an accident includes kicking my dirty clothing into the river before pulling my clean ones from a tree to kick them in; then no, it was not an accident.”

“We are going to get them back,” Colin murmured as her hand began tracing circles into his side.

She let out a yawn.  “Yes, we will.  Do tell me that you have a grand plan.”

“Your plan with the horses does not seem like a good one,” he admitted.  “Ramsey was only feet away from them and did not seem frightened.”

 Her hand began moving to his stomach as she said, “Did he notice who the horses were?  It is not that he has an overbearing fear of horses.  It is mainly of just Fury.”

“Why is that?” he asked.

“Hmm?” she asked rubbing her face on his chest.  “Oh, yes.  Fury chased after him one time when he was riding Dread.  I told Ramsey not to go that way. Fury always thought it meant we were leaving if we traveled in that direction.  She doesn’t mind us leaving, but we cannot take what is hers with us.”

“Cassandra,” he said in a deep voice, “will you stop?  You have to understand that, while your attention is flattering, it is too early to do anything about it.”

“What?” she asked.

“Where is your hand?”

He felt her head move to look down where her hand rested on his thigh.  He watched as the circles she was once making halted.  Her hand rose away from him, and her body shifted to create distance between them.  She looked up at him with wide eyes and a red face.

“I did not mean to do that,” she whispered.  “When I get tired I sometimes do things that are out of character.  Please forgive me.”

He gave her a timid smile.  “It is nothing to worry over.  We have plans to make and you must be awake to help with them.”

“Yes, I must be fully aware of what I, I mean what we are doing,” she told him with a nod.

Chuckling, he jumped to his feet and held his hand out for her to take.  She grabbed it with little hesitation.  Pulling her up, he glanced around the room.  His eyebrows rose in surprise.

“What were you doing before I came up here?” he asked while looking at the mess she had created.

She entwined their hands before saying, “I was looking for a certain dress I have.  It is a little large on me, and I thought it would be perfect for a small part of my plan.”

“You have parts to your plan?” he asked in disbelief.

“You did not think I would allow Ramsey to have the better jest did you?  There may be easier ways, but none as fun.”

He shook his head at her.  “I do not think you ever do anything the easy way.”

She smiled up at him.  “Well, thank you, sir.  Now, I have the dress.  I need you to prepare the horses and I need some type of sticky substance.  Oh, and I need some slippery liquid.”

“Would maple syrup and olive oil do?” he asked her matching her smile with his own.

“Perfectly,” she answered while pulling him towards the door.

***Title by sagetheparrot3***