Part 18

Chapter 18

Colin pressed his body closer to hers.  He wanted to feel her body pressed up against his.  Her soft flesh molded against his chest.  For once, Colin felt like something fit.  She belonged with him.  His hand reached behind her and began pulling at the strings of her gown.  As soon as it came undone, he began to loosen the strings.  Second by second, the bodice of her gown loosened.

“Cassandra Elaine!”

Colin pushed her back in surprise.  There was nothing he could do as he watched Cassandra fall to the ground clutching the top of her gown.  She lay there with wide eyes and a red face.   He didn’t know what to do.  Had he really just pushed her?  Not only that, how was he supposed to turn around and face the person?

“Yes, Ramsey?” Cassie asked from the ground.

“What do you think you are doing?” her young cousin yelled in rage.

Colin was growing wary of having the man behind him.  Walking towards his large desk, he sat down uncomfortably and pushed the chair in.

Leaving Ramsey with a look, Colin said, “I do not know why you were even searching my manor without being chaperoned.”

“Oh?  And who was supposed to ‘chaperone’ me?  Mayhap it was Peirce who is taking care of Cooper.  Or might it be you who was taking advantage of Cassandra?  Better yet, I think she should have showed me around after she finished allowing herself to be physically accosted,” Ramsey said in one breath.

Colin bit his lip and turned his face away from the boy.  Was he taking advantaged of his wife?  He felt guilt run through his body.  He was being an idiot for assuming that she would actually want him.

“Would you close your mouth Ramsey?  If Colin was doing anything I did not like, he wouldn’t have been doing it.  Father taught me well,” Cassie called out.

Ramsey looked towards his cousin, but quickly looked away once he saw her holding her gown on.  “Yes, well, your father sent me here to take care of you.”

Cassie glared at her cousin while standing, and then turned her gaze to Colin. “I don’t care what state you are in, come tie my gown please.”

Colin gave her a smile as he pushed his chair back from the desk. “Yes, my lady.”

“Thank you,” she huffed out while turning her attention back to Ramsey. “I do not care if father sent you to watch me.  I can take care of myself, and if I couldn’t, I would ask my husband.  It is his job now, not yours or my father's.”

Ramsey glanced at her in surprise. “Are you jesting?  You expect him to take care of you?  Him?” Ramsey sneered while pointing at Colin.

Colin watched the argument in pride.  His wife was taking up for him, not that he needed her to for he could fight his own battles, but the thought of her speaking well of him made his heart swell in his chest.  He stepped behind Cassandra and waited to hear what she would say next.

“He is my husband, Ramsey, and the master of this manor.  I would advise you learn your manners.  Would you disrespect my father in such a way?  This man will be who I spend the rest of my life with.  If you don’t like it then leave,” she told him while gasping for air.

Colin furrowed his eyebrows, why would she be gasping?  She swatted at him causing him to look down.  Realizing that he was pulling the strings to tight, he immediately loosened them with a sheepish smile.  She may not have seen it, but he was truly sorry.

“Cassie?  You really mean that don’t you?” Ramsey questioned with a hurt expression. “You defend him when he has done nothing but insult you.  How do you expect me to like the man when he treats my favorite cousin the way he does?”