Surprised Shrieks

Chapter 9

Cassandra ran with Cooper on her hip.  The boy held on as tightly as he could, but he still slipped as she moved faster. For once, she was glad he weighed next to nothing. Running with a child this boney was easier than running with an overfed one. She hefted him up higher onto her hip and took off faster. She had fun in the village today, but what she really wanted to do was go home and talk to Cooper. There were many things she wanted to learn about the young boy; she just hoped he would actually talk to her.

Her arms began to ache and Cooper slipped further down her body. Even though the boy was light, he was still weight that she wasn't used to carrying around. She settled him onto the ground and tried to grab his hand before he could get her skirts. Her actions were futile as he clung to them like before.

Letting out a sigh, she looked down at him. "Would you be upset if I broke my neck?"

The boy nodded with his eyes wide.

"Then, would you rather hold my hand? It would narrow my chances of falling considerably if you would cling to my hand instead of my skirts."

Coopers eyebrows scrunched together and he looked at her as if she was insane. Cassandra thought about what she had said, and realized that she spoke as if she was speaking to a nobleman, not a young villager.

Revising her words, she said, "Will you hold my hand to make sure I won't fall?"

He beamed at her and nodded vigorously. Snatching her hand, the boy began to swing their hands back in forth. She loved the motion; it reminded her of simpler times. Times where all she needed to worry about was who she would play with that day. She looked down on the lad with a tinge of envy.

She made a silent promise to Cooper that he would have a great childhood. Hers had been fantastic mainly because of whom her parents were, but it was still a gratifying childhood. No matter what, this boy would be loved.

If Cassandra would admit it to herself, she would realize that her heart has already been given to the boy. The tiny little hands held more than just her hand.

Realizing that they had slowed to a walk, she glanced behind her expecting Colin to be gaining on them. What she didn't expect was for him to be nowhere in sight. Where could he be? He was right behind her minutes ago. She glanced to her left and then to her right, waiting for him to pop up from somewhere. Nothing happened though. No combed back hair caught her eye.

Her footsteps halted. Should she go back and see what was taking his time? Or should she just keep walking in hopes that he was unharmed? Her thoughts abruptly ended. The questions flying through her head were taboo. They sounded strangely like she cared. She didn't though.

With that thought, she made her stride longer and her steps faster. The manor would be in sight shortly. She would be able to sit back and relax. Her thoughts wouldn't stray towards a certain person. She wouldn't wonder if he was on the side of a pathway with a broken leg. She wouldn't ask herself if he was trying to crawl back to the manor. No, she wouldn't even think about him.

As they got closer, she noticed Peirce standing near the carriage. He was hitching up the horses with complete concentration. She briefly wondered what he was doing before an idea came to her.

Leaning down, she whispered into Cooper's ear, "Follow me, but be real quiet."

The boy nodded with a sly smile on his face. Cassandra had a feeling that he knew more than he was letting on. Her father always told her to be wary of the quiet ones. They were observers; ones who knew all your secrets but kept them to their selves.