Part 25

Chapter 25

“You understand the plan?” Cassandra asked Peirce while walking out of her bedchamber.

He nodded at her with a smile. “I understand everything.  May I say that you are a force to be reckoned with?  I am quite glad that it is Colin who will be stuck with you.”

“Your compliments swell my pride,” she stated with a flutter of her eyelashes.

He let out a laugh and shook his head at her.  Passing her up, he began his descent down the stairs.  She stared at his back with a large smile on her face.  Ramsey would be surprised, to say the least. 

“What is that smile about, cousin?” Ramsey asked causing her to jump in surprise.

She looked his way and noticed the clothing he held in his hands.  Upon closer examination, she realized that they were Cooper’s clothing.  Looking around, she couldn’t spot the boy.

“Where is Cooper?”

“Are you attempting to change the subject?” her cousin asked while sending her a suspicious look.

She shook her head in frustration.  “I simply want to know where the lad is.”

“He is behind me,” Ramsey told her with a bored expression.

Cassandra glanced behind Ramsey and saw nothing.  Letting out a sigh, she said, “The lad is nowhere to be seen.  You think he may have run down stairs?”

“He could be there,” Ramsey mumbled while darting his eyes towards the stair case.

“Will you look for me?  I just need to grab the soap, and I will be down momentarily," she lied.  She wouldn't go back for the soap, but she prayed Ramsey would not notice the false words.  If her cousin would only think of the fact that she had bathed days earlier, he would realize that she would not risk using the soap.  She liked to feel clean, but she did not like for her skin to burn in reaction, and if she used her soap too often, that was exactly what would happen.

He gave her one more suspicious look before stepping towards the stairs.  She watched as he hesitated at the landing and glanced over his shoulder.  Her eyes darted away from him in order not to be caught staring.  Luck was in her favor for Ramsey continued down the stairs without further obstacles.

A shout sounded.  Taking her cue, she ran down the stairs with a shocked expression on her face.  Standing there was Ramsey.  Water was dripping from his nose as he glared at her.  “You planned this.”

She widened her eyes and took a step back. “Me?  You think I did this?  Tell me, when would I have the time to pour a bucket of ice cold water on you?  I was upstairs when I heard the shout.”

“Yes, and Cooper is so conveniently helping Peirce mop at this hour.  When I happened to walk by, Peirce accidentally splashed me with water, and Cooper began mopping my shoes.  Tell me, Cassandra, which part of the plan did you think did not have your signature written on it?” he asked with a smile tilting the corner of his lips.

Cassandra’s eyes widened, but not in false pretense. “No, Ramsey.”

“Yes, my dear,” he said with an evil smile. “This means war.”

“Cooper!  Time to bathe,” she called out while grabbing the boy and jogging outside.  She could hear the lad giggle while footsteps sounded from behind her.  Ramsey would not catch up to her.  He pretended he was after her, but in reality, Cassandra knew he was just chasing them to make Cooper laugh.

Dodging under branches, she caught sight of the river.  The only thing was that there was a person in it.  Halting, she stared at the face emerging out of the water.  When had her husband found the time to come and bathe?  She had thought that he was helping the men.  His body slowly rose as she watched.