Part 28

Chapter 28

Light hit her eyes causing her to groan in frustration.  Rolling to her side, she wondered why she hadn't put curtains up yet.  Cassandra felt like she was forgetting what she planned to do once she got here.  She wanted to fix the manor.  She wanted to reconstruct the village, but she hadn't done a single thing to further her goal. 

Opening her eyes, she looked over at the man who slept next to her.  His lips were parted slightly as he faced her. The arms that were wrapped around her before she turned were now moving towards her as if he was trying to find something he had lost.  Cassandra scooted back until she finally hit the edge of the bed.  Quietly, she eased herself off and glanced down at the two people who slept. 

Somehow, Cooper had gone from being in the middle of the bed to being on the side.  A smile crossed her face as she pondered how he got there.  Did the lad move on his own, or had Colin moved him?  Shaking her head, she tiptoed towards the door.   It creaked open as she slipped thorough and made her way towards her chamber.

Pulling her sleeping gown off, she quickly donned her clothing.  Twisting her hair, she clipped it to the back of her neck.  She held the collar of her gown up as she exited the room and went down the stairs in search of Peirce or Ramsey.  She knew that Peirce woke early, but she had no idea what habits Ramsey had acquired in his time away from her.

As she walked off the bottom step, the smell of eggs hit her nose answering her question as to where Peirce would be.  Not hesitating for a moment, she bounded towards the kitchen.  She was ready to work, and if someone didn't tie her dress, she would not be able to do a thing.

"Peirce," she called out while pushing the door open, "can you tie my gown?"

"Anything for you, my lady," a voice replied.

She froze and looked at the man who was speaking.  As soon as she realized it was her husband talking, she glanced at the pan he held in his hand and let out a sigh of relief.  The eggs did not appear to be burnt nor charred in any way.

"Yes, I know.  It is a miracle.  Now, come here so I may tie it for you," he said with a smile in his voice.

Once she reached him, she turned her back and asked, "How did you get down here before me?"

His fingers skimmed her bare back before grabbing onto the strings.  "When I reached for you, you were not there.  It woke me, and I was starved.  The natural thing to do was cook."

"And you felt confident with your eggs?"

He let out a chuckle.  "I felt very confident with cooking eggs.  Eggs that may be burning at this very moment," he told her as he patted her back signaling that he was done with his task.

"I am going to help the villagers today, and my father's people.  They are more capable at doing things than I am, but I'll help as much as I can."

"Understandable," Colin told her.  "I had wanted to spend more time helping them.  I am just glad that you feel the same."

"Why wouldn't I?" she questioned in confusion.

He waved a hand dismissively.  "Many women do not do manual labor.  I figured that you would be one."

She bit her lip to keep from yelling at him.  It was not his fault that he felt that way, but she had thought he knew enough about her to know that she was a worker when things needed to be done.  Her image may still show a spoiled chit, but she was more than that now.

"I see," she replied.  "I am going to leave now.  I'll grab some water for the workers on my way out."

"Wait!" Colin called out while she pushed open the doors.  "Are you going to eat?"