Chapter 25

Several days passed in which Dan and Phil just enjoyed each other's company. Phil would bring Dan a laptop, so that he could listen to music, watch movies or videos while Phil was gone. Phil's plan was to start giving Dan a 'normal' life back, even though Phil knew that Dan would never be the same as before the incident. Phil wanted Dan to get his own interests. As much as Phil liked having Dan's full attention on him when he visited, he noticed that it slowly started to get boring sometimes. Of course, Dan would always tell him about his day, but it was pretty much always the same. Support Group, walks in the park (that he now started doing alone or with Phil or Scott on a regular basis) or visits from the nurses and doctors. And because Phil spent the majority of his time at MIR, there wasn't much he could tell Dan of his day either.

Of course it was nice to sometimes just lay in Dan's bed and cuddle or kiss, but in the long term, it started to get boring. So sometimes they would watch movies together or the animes that Phil had introduced Dan to. But it was Phil's goal to make Dan more confident in talking, because he noticed that he was actually a very talkative person, he just got very shy whenever he had to talk to a stranger.

It warmed Phil's heart every time he watched Dan really enjoying something. Whenever Phil watched Dan playing something on his computer, or when he painted on his walls or sang along to some songs or talked about something he was passionate about, Phil was smiling like an idiot. Phil was glad to see Dan make such a big progress. When he watched Dan laughing he couldn't believe that this is the same by that only a year ago wouldn't even talk to him and hide under his blanket.

After careful consideration, Phil had decided that it was time for the next step: reuniting Dan with his family. Phil knew that this won't be the easiest thing in the world, as Dan always got grumpy whenever Phil mentioned his family. But Phil knew from experience that family is really important to have as an anchor. Lovers come and go but family will stick with you forever.

Also, Mrs Howell constantly tried to get in contact with Phil again. After Phil had visited her last year, she kept trying. PJ would constantly complain about this annoying woman. However, Phil could see and hear in her voice that she was really sorry. She wanted to catch up with Dan. It didn't seem like she was forcing herself, it was more of a helpless action.

So a few days ago, when Phil noticed her talking on the answer phone, he took all his courage and picked up.

"Hello, who is there?" Phil asked out of routine, even though he clearly knew who was calling.

Silence. For a short moment, Phil thought she hung up on him out of nervousness.

"Uh... this is Conny Howell. Am I... really speaking to Mr Lester?" she asked, though you could clearly hear the question mark in her voice because normally no one would pick up her calls.

"Phil." He repeated. "Yes. What do you want?"

"I... I want my son back!" she blurted out.

"You knew when signing the papers for his treatment at MIR that an adoption could happen." Phil answered calmly.

"I know this, but I was just so in rage because he didn't talk to me and I wasn't thinking and-" she started to ramble, but got cut short by Phil.

"Listen Mrs Howell, I have already told you that it is very hard for Dan-" Phil started but, again, got interrupted.

"But it has passed almost one year! He must have recovered by now!" Conny said over-eager.

"You clearly don't know how something like this works, do you?" Phil asked sarcastically. "Listen, I know how eager you are to see him and he has indeed recovered a lot but I'm not sure if he is able to face someone that has so strongly shaped his past like you have."