Chapter 6

A/N: everything written in italics is the flashback

Dan had no idea what this little plushie did to him.

Since he got it with him in his bed, cuddling to it every night, he felt the strength of a raging fire, as if he could just rip out the next tree. Yet he felt more coward than ever. He already imagined the things he wanted to tell Phil, all the things that had happened in his life, everything from the very beginning. But if he could just reach out to him then, but still he had not said a word to him since they first met.

'BE BRAVE, BE STRONG!' Dan would always tell himself, still reminding himself of Phil's words from a few weeks before. Since Dan still didn't believe in other people helping and saving him, he recognized that he had to be his own saviour. If I want to get out of this miserable life, then I have to do something, no one else. And the first step of helping yourself was – taking the initiative.

He had heard all the doctors and guardians talk about this different support groups that MIR offered. Maybe Dan could just...

NO DAN, BAD IDEA. You cannot even handle talking to one person, let alone a bunch of them. Even the thought made him want to scream. A lot of people in the same room, close to him...However, this seemed as the only way Dan could even slightly try to get better. But how would he get there...? He needed a guardian, that was for sure.

No patient was allowed to walk around the psychiatry without a guardian or their companion. But he couldn't go with Phil of course. He didn't trust Phil enough to be alone with him, even if it was just a small amount of time. As Dan searched through his brain as to who he could ask to bring him to the Support Group, he always kept stumbling about Scott's name in his mind. Scott Hoying was his guardian, he was the last person he saw outside of that room. Still, he was always there for him. In that time span, when no one was interested in Dan, Scott would sometimes come in to talk to Dan, about everything and anything. Also, Dan trusted Scott to a limit – Dan knew that Scott wouldn't even dare to touch or hurt him, or else he would lose his job (and as he once told Dan, he loved his job more than anything in the world, even more than his fiancé so called 'Mitch').

Of course, Dan was still aware of people he trusted hurting him, mentally or physically, yet he trusted Scott to an extent.Without thinking any further, Dan stood up from his bed, walking towards the door and laying his hand onto the door handle. Then realization dawned on him – he didn't leave this room for now almost 3 years. The last person he talked to was his teacher who brought him here, since then Dan hadn't talked to anyone, not even a single word. How was he even going to make it? He was already suffering from panic attacks when more than one person was in the room with him, what would happen if he was surrounded by a dozen of people?! What if they tried to touch him in any way? Dan didn't know what he was thinking. He wouldn't even make it to the room – much less start up a conversation with anyone.

"Dan...?" a voice interrupted his thoughts.As Dan looked up, he saw that the door had magically opened in front of him, Scott standing in front of him.

Scott was tall. Even taller than Dan, who was already 6.3". Scott was a very broad guy, with blonde hair and a handsome voice, a smile spreading across his features as he saw Dan.

"What?" Dan asked shyly and quiet. 'Wow that was strange...' Dan thought. He didn't talk for over 3 years, and now doing that with such ease... It was an overwhelming feeling, a good feeling.

"You opened the door... do you want to go somewhere?" Scott asked with an encouraging smile.

Dan thought that it must also be exciting for Scott, since he never did anything else than standing in front of Dan's room and watching the security cameras installed in Dan's room.