Chapter 21

A/N: Fluff and cliff-hanger alert!

3 weeks passed without anything major happening. Phil kept his schedule and visited Dan every day. And since their slow-dance nothing had happened really. Though it was a huge accomplishment that Dan was now able to hug Phil whenever he came to visit, but besides hugging nothing happened, even though both parties wanted to. Phil surely wasn't going to try to kiss Dan anytime again, unless Dan told him to.

They talked about this and that, sometimes Phil would bring his computer to show Dan new music from their favourite bands, movies that Phil thought Dan would love or Phil even showed some of his YouTube videos to Dan. Phil was so glad when he saw Dan's face light up whenever he saw one of Phil's videos, or when he laughed about a hilarious story.

Phil entered PJ's office with a happy skip. "Hey Peej, what's up." Phil said with his bubbly voice, sitting down in front of PJ's desk as always.

"Not much really, Dan's results have remained the same, even though we can say that we are on a good way." PJ exclaimed without looking up from his papers.

"So... how's it going with you and Chris?" Phil asked to break the awkward silence.

PJ sat down and looked Phil in the eye as if he didn't know what he was talking about. "Uhm... Pretty good actually. That's what I wanted to talk with you about!" PJ chewed on the end of his pencil while skimming through Dan's folder.

"I think that Dan is at a point now where we could attempt to take him outside." PJ stated.

"You mean like... outside the building? Like into the streets?!" Phil asked alarming.

"Well no, obviously I won't let him out in the crowded streets of London. But have you ever been to our park?" PJ asked and answered himself, as he saw the confusion in Phil's eyes. "We have a very beautiful park behind the hospital, which is only for patients and their companions. Everything is secured with fences and security guards, so please don't worry. And today is a beautiful day; you could try to go outside with Dan!"

"Oh, well... sure." Phil said, not sure of what to do. He didn't want to doubt PJ, since he was a psychiatrist and clearly knew what he was doing, but Phil had a feeling that Dan might not be in the right position for that yet.

While Phil was walking back to Dan's room, he thought about it. Would he really try to take him outside or would he just forget about it for now? Phil clearly didn't want Dan to be scared of the outside world which seemed very likely. Although Dan was indeed getting better, he even started to talk to Scott more often, Phil didn't think that going outside would be the best thing to do now. Everything was going so well at the moment and Phil didn't want to go all the way back again. He had no idea how Dan could react to all the impressions of the outside world, like other people crossing their paths, trees or some random animals.

"Hey Dan, it's me, Phil!" Phil exclaimed as he entered Dan's room. He now used this sentence for almost a year already, as it has become a thing for Phil to always say this when entering Dan's room.

"Phil!" Dan said in a happy voice, standing up from his bed where he was lying reading a book that Phil has brought him. It warmed Phil's heart that Dan was always so happy to see him. Maybe he was still relieved every time Phil showed up.

In the weeks that had passed since then, Dan didn't address Phil's confession once. Phil thought that Dan might have already forgotten about it, or he simply just needed time to over think everything.

Dan came walking towards Phil, wrapping his arms around Phil's torso. Even though they did this every day, Dan's hugs were still brief, shy and restrained. Phil squeezed him nevertheless. It was always this little moment when Dan would briefly rest his head in the crook of Phil's neck and they were just standing there like this for a second. Phil never wanted these moments to end.