Chapter 5

The price of my new hair cut: $70. The cost of my new outfit: $100. The price of the boys’ faces when I came outside: PRICELESS. Both Kaden and Bryce’s jaws were wide open while Alpha was standing there with a slight smile on his face. I guess he was back into Alpha mode. I just stood there with my hand on my hip waiting for something to happen, trying to look bored. I just hope that they couldn’t see how red my cheeks were.

“Okay, boys, enough gawking. I think you need to get going. You want to be there before morning right.” Alpha told the boys who immediately regained their composer. Alpha walked up to me and put his hand on my shoulder. “This is Midnight.” I just raised my hand in a gesture of hello. “Midnight, this is Kaden, and you already know your pack mate Bryce.”  Kaden didn’t say hello or anything he just went to his truck and got in.

“Let’s go, we don’t want him leaving us behind.” Bryce said as he headed towards Kaden’s truck. I said a quick goodbye to Alpha and followed Bryce.

The pickup truck was old looking and its red paint was faded and starting to chip off in some places. The bed of the truck was plenty useable with lots of space. The only thing I had a problem with was that there was only the front seat. There was no back seat or even a little area to squeeze in, just the window. All three of us will have to squeeze into the front seat. This was going to be interesting.

“You in first.” Bryce instructed. I gave him my ‘are you kidding me’ look. He just shook his head. “You are the smallest and the smallest always go into the middle. I looked over to Kaden and realized he didn’t really like the idea with me in the middle either. Bryce pushed me up and I complied. It was not comfortable at all. I had to either straddle the shift stick or try to fit into Bryce’s little area that he had mostly covered. I ended up squeezing into that little area, I didn’t really want to expose anything more.

Saying the ride there was awkward is an understatement. For the most part, Kaden kept his eyes on the road, trying his best not to look at me. Every once in a while I saw him looking at me from the corner of his as if he was trying to figure me out. Also every time he shifted in this damn truck, his hand would slightly brush my thigh. I know it wasn’t his fault, he was trying his best not to do it, but that doesn’t mean I have to like it. Bryce didn’t really say anything, just looked at the window. I don’t think he wanted to be in this situation, hell, I don’t want to be in this situation. No one talked. Kasey wasn’t even around to talk my ear off, he probably went to go check some things out before we got there. Kaden had mentioned earlier that his alpha was going to explain the plan once we get there and hasn’t said a word since. Bryce and I just nodded. Did I mention that it was a very awkward car ride and that it was four hours long?

We arrived in town at around ten in the night and the sky was taking a turn for the worst. I could smell the rain building up, it was going to be a nasty thunderstorm.When we got out of the car, I was tempted to kiss the ground and tell it how much I missed it. Deciding that would be a little weird in front of other people, I just stretched my sleepy body out. Once all the prickly feelings went away, I followed Bryce and Kaden to the house we parked in front of. I made one quick look around to see if Kasey was anywhere near but didn’t see him. I hope he shows up soon.

What I saw when I entered the house surprised me. I should have been prepared since Alpha told me that most of the Brown Paw pack members had the ‘curse’ but I wasn’t.  The few members that were staying in the Brown Paw pack alpha’s house, looked like the walking dead. All of them had black circles under their eyes and were skinny. Skinny as in they looked like they hadn’t had food for a month. And all of them had ghosts attached to them. Most were just normal human ghost. I don’t know how they can steal energy like this, usually they don’t have enough power to do it but here I was in a room full of soul-sucking ghosts.