Short Story: Bryce

*I know it has been three months and I'm really sorry. There is no good excuse for my absents. I will tell you I did get a co-op that started in August and my editor has been really busy in school and his cool ass job. He is the reason why my story is so wonderful. But I do plan to post this short story plus three more chapters this week. Chapter 20 will be posted in two hours, chapter 21 will be posted tomorrow hopefully and chapter 22 by Wednesday. *

I was reluctantly sitting at my desk doing the paperwork alpha had pawned off on me. I hate it when Alpha ups and leaves me to do the work while he sneaks off to god knows where. I was even more pissed by the fact that today was Christina’s last day here and I didn’t like the prospect that she might be headed towards danger without me to protect her. I liked even less the thought that she was going to be alone with Kaden, I don’t like the way he looks at her, it makes me want to tear his head off.

So there I sat surrounded by paperwork in Alpha’s house that he converted partly into an office in a very sour mood when Christina and Alpha walked in. Just hearing Christina walk in the door was enough to brighten even my darkest of days. That is until I saw the scratch on her cheek and that she was still trying to wipe the remnants of tears out of her eyes.

“What happened?” I growled as I rushed to Christina’s side. Then I spoke in a much softer and comforting tone as I placed my hands gently on her shoulders, wiping some of her tears away. “What’s wrong?”

“Devin beat her in a fight.” Alpha answered before Christina could open her mouth. I felt my hands tightened on her shoulder.

“What?” I asked in a stern tone raising my voice enough to cause Christina to flinch.

“He didn’t even fight fairly. He tried to beat her up after she conceded.” Alpha replied with a disgusted look on his face.I started to give him a death stare. “If I hadn’t pulled him off, her face would be black and blue.”

That was all I needed to hear. I was out the door before either of them could say more. Angie and Howard were wonderful people and I don’t know how they could have a child like Devin. That kid had constantly placed himself at the top of my shit list since Christina’s first day of kindergarten. At one point my parents had to take me out of school for two days to keep me from pummeling him. They said he would grow out of it. Well he has now taken too long. Now I am going to beat the shit out of him.

The Stubb’s house wasn’t very far from Alpha’s house. The jerk’s father; Howard was the Beta to the previous Alpha before that Alpha died thus the house was naturally close to the main headquarters. When I arrived, Devin and some of his punk friends were hanging around the front porch snickering; that is until they saw me coming towards them. I didn’t bother masking my mood letting my gold wolf eyes replace my normal blue eyes.

“Scat.” I commanded my eyes locked onto Devin’s. When no one moved I bark “Now!”  and that caused everyone to start moving except Devin.

“You know you shouldn’t butt into other people’s business.” Devin flippantly commented obviously not afraid even though all of his friends abandoned him.

“I can when it involves my little sister.”I replied picking him up by the collar.

“Hey what do you think you’re doing?” Devin complained with a worried expression on his face.

“Shut up.” I snarled tightening my grip. “You listen to me or I will break you.” Devin’s face drained of any color as he realized my threats were serious. “ Did you fight with my little sister?” I shook him when he didn’t say anything. The pansy wouldn’t even look at me. “It’s a simple yes or no question!” Growling seemed to affect him more as he nodded looking as if he was about to pee his pants.

“It was a fair fight.” He squeaked.

“Fair fight my ass! Alpha had to pull your damn ass off of Christina before you pulverized her.” I dropped him and before he had time to recover, I punched him in the face. “Don’t you ever put your hands on my sister again.” And I hit him on the other side of his face. I had enough control over my rage not to break anything but he would have marks for sure tomorrow. Two black eyes at least but that still wasn’t enough. Chucking him into the side of the house and hearing the dull thud as he was knocked unconscious finally satisfied me.

Leaving him lying in a crumpled heap in the yard, I headed back to Alpha’s office. At least I did something for Christina before she left.