Chapter 25

Dead silence permutated the room as an atmosphere thick with dread and fear crept ever closer. I felt a chill down my spine and all the hair on the back of my neck stood on end as the air become a miasma of horror. My instincts screamed at me to run as I realized the mortal peril we had blundered into. One wrong move and I knew this man waiting on the stairs would kill us. The power radiating off of him made him almost seem tangible. That he could grab one of me with his beefy hands and kill me with the knife in the other hand. I was still transfixed at the thought of the knife ripping through my abdomen when Alice took the lead.

               “Well, we are here to view this magnificent house of yours.” Alice stated as if the room’s atmosphere hadn’t affected her at all but I could smell the scent of fear drift from her, and the sweat drip down her cheek.

               “Wait. You can see him?” I asked completely bewildered. I thought the man seemed real but I didn’t know that would allow other people to see him. 

               Behind me I heard Kaden trying to break out of the house through the front door. It was accompanied with a few upset growls which meant he was having little success. Even with his strong wolf nails and teeth he wasn’t even making a dent in the door. The only way to escape now was to exorcise this ghost who had powers like I have never felt before.

               “Of course not, but I definitely heard his voice. I assume that he is Ben Delton. About twenty years ago he killed 15 girls during his serial rampage. He died here when the police raided this place in a failed attempt to save some of the girls. His brother, William, was taken to a prison and eventually executed for his crimes.” Alice enlightened which explained how the ghost impression from earlier and this ghost existed at the same time since normally a dead person can’t be an impression and a ghost. In this situation the one who died here was the ghost in front of us and the ghost I had seen grabbing the woman at the beginning was Ben’s brother.

“You knew what type of house we were going into?” I said in an icy voice, rage building up inside me. She was such a frustrating person to deal with that after only a couple of hours spending time with her eccentric personality, I already wanted to punch her.  

“Yes. This is a test, so I like to know all of the facts.” Our attention was quickly drawn back to the situation when a wood plank flew out from the staircase towards us. Kaden reacted quickly and from behind jumped ahead of us to claw the plank away before it injured either one of us.

“Get out of my house!” Ben demanded as more objects started to rise. Kaden’s fur rubbed up again my leg which reassured me I had always felt calmest with a four legged companion next to me. I wouldn’t be any good in my wolf form since I can only dispel ghosts when I was human. I took a deep breath and stepped forward putting on my act.

“How are we supposed to leave when you locked us in?” I joked as I started to imagine the feeling and thoughts of what I did the last time I expelled a ghost. “We will not leave this place. You are the one who no longer belongs. It is time for you to move on!” I put as much power in my voice in this command as I directed all of my thought of this man leaving this place forever. The ghost just seemed to become more upset. As if to punctuate this observation, more objects started to be flung around the room. Thankfully, Alice put up a protective shield around us.