Chapter 22

The following morning my senses woke me, telling me I was being watched. When I opened my eyes, that strange feeling in my gut proved to be Kasey. I tried to fall back to sleep and forget what I saw but Kasey started to paw at me with his ghostly hands as if he was mimicking some stupid cat he had seen lurking about during the night.

“You look comfy together.” He teased once he realized I was paying attention to him. I was vaguely aware that Kaden had his arms wrapped tightly around me, holding our bodies close but I was still tired from the jet lag and just gave Kasey the ‘bug off’ stare but Kasey just continued to smile his mischievous grin at me.It was then I became fully awake and realized that Kaden was snuggling up against me. My immediate thought of action was to jump as quickly out of the bed as possible, my heart was pounding in my chest at the thought of being this close to someone. It was a very strong urge to flee but fortunately my brain had started to work and after calming myself down some, I started to carefully get out of bed trying not to wake Kaden.“You can’t get rid of me this time. I did you a favor and left last night to give you lovey-dovey time with that wolf which you obviously took advantage of.” He wiggled his eyebrows in a suggestive way which was starting to irk me. “But that’s not what I’m here for. I have important information for you.”

Kasey waited and giggled as he watched me struggle to detangle myself from my sleeping buddy. Kaden moaned once but I had moved carefully enough not to wake him up. I headed to the bathroom, sure that my face was a bright red and my heart running a mile a minute. The bathroom provided a wall for buffering my voice from Kaden. I didn’t want to wake him up for what seemed to him would be a one sided conversation but at the same time I didn’t want to go outside by myself yet. I know it was silly but I didn’t trust going outside in an unfamiliar place again for fear of what happened last time.

“Spit it out now before I pulverize you for waking me up so early.” On the way to the bathroom, I saw the clock read 4:30.  As I have explained before, I like my beauty sleep. I become cranky and moody with lack of sleep and that isn’t a pretty sight, I neglected to mention the fact that I was happy he got me out of bed before Kaden woke up. It would have been extremely awkward waking up at the same time in bed together.

“So I explored the area last night. I have no idea where the mages’ headquarters are. The address that Alpha gave us just leads to an old barn. There were a few mages there on guard but nothing else. I looked everywhere but couldn’t find a single thing.” Kasey explained.

“You woke me up at this hour just to tell me that?” Anger seeping into my voice as I held myself back from punching Kasey. Did I mention I really like my beauty sleep? “You just want to end your afterlife early? Is that it?”

“Stop being so moody. I’m sorry for ruining your lovey dovey time with Kaden but give me a minute to explain myself.” He chastised backing away from me slowly. “When I was returning from my search, I saw a very suspicious person. He was sneaking around in a large tasseled coat. Anyways not only did he have a weird ass coat but he was muttering spells around the hotel. He watched the two of you for the entire night.  Heck, I thought I was going to have to bring him some popcorn; you two were that entertaining. I couldn’t believe how ridiculously awkward you two were. I almost died again from laughter.”

“Get back to the story Kasey, before I tear you to shreds like that mans coat.” I growled slightly flustered.  My face was turning a brighter shade of red again just from thinking about how two people saw us acting so stupid. I was completely embarrassed and I knew Kasey was never going to let me live it down; which caused me to be a little angry at him.

“Okay I will stop for now.” Kasey said hurriedly noticing that my anger was seeping into my eyes causing a slight purple glow in them. I was getting angry that I was this embarrassed about all that was happening and the more I thought about how stupid I was, the more upset I became. “I don’t know what he was doing but he was obviously interested in you guys. I was going to follow him home but he did some sort of spell to disappear. I think it might have been invisibility which is an awesome idea. Perhaps he did by reflecting his surrounding…” I cleared my throat indicating he was going off on one of his nerd tangents. “Right. Anyways, whenever I got close to him, he would suddenly shiver and look around. It was as if he could sense me but I couldn’t tell for sure.”