Chapter 37 - Losing it

Haya's POV

The mansion was so crowded with people and from every corner of the hall, Tilawat and Yassin could be heard loudly. The center of the hall was flooded with women in White, crying weeping around Khan Begum and all the men at one corner were sighing in regret.

Out of all in the hall, there was only one that caught my attention; Hawa. She was sitting statically since the past hour on the cold floor quite far from Khan Begum with her back touching the big pillar and her expressions were dead. There was not a single tear slipped her eye but still her face was so pale and so sober that my heart sank deep down looking at her.

Her eyes were puffed and swollen, she seemed as if she wasn't here at all, as if she was dead too. She kept sitting like a statue as her head was rested on the pillar and she looked so lost in her own world but I know she knew what was happening around her. I know her gaze was on Khan Begum's stiff body though she kept herself isolated.

"Janazey ka waqt aa gaya hai." Suddenly the Imam stood in front of us announcing and all the women nodded their heads. The got off the carpet and scooted away when all the men neared Khan Begum.

I wiped my tears and slowly got up from there and approached Hawa.

"Hawa.." I called softly, dropping my hand on her draped head and still she stayed put, didn't move at all. I gulped down the lump in my throat looking at her before I scooted down beside her and tried my best to not let myself to be seen weak in front of her, at least not now.

"Janazey ka waqt hai Hawa. Ammi ko nahi milogi? Aakhri baar ke liye...unn se mil lo." I spoke but I couldn't hide the broken in my voice when she just sat like a stone, wasn't affected by my words at all though I was shaking her shoulder.

"Hawa...Ammi ko dekho. Dekho kia kar rahe hain woh log." I said, pointing at those men around Khan Begum. Just in few more minutes, they will take her away from us, forever.

"Woh jaa rahe hain Hawa...utho!!" I screeched uncontrollably when the Imam closed Khan Begum's face for forever, I was panicked and tears started flowing rapidly already in fear.

"Hawa tumhein ho kya gaya hai?? Utho!! Tumhaari Ammi jaa rahi hai!!!" I screamed in her face furiously when she kept stiffing herself, didn't budge at all and I pulled her chin to face me and she did. Her eyes met mine but it was lifeless, it has no emotions in it and then she lowered her eyes again.

"Hawa hosh mein aao!!" I shook her shoulder shouting and she hid her lips inwardly, looking at the floor.

"Fine!! Mat mil lo unn se!! Yahin maro!!" I bawled, brushing the back of my hand on my right eye and stood up abruptly when I saw the men were lifting wooden coffin on their shoulders.

They walked out of the mansion and I glanced down at Hawa to find a tear slipped her eye.

"Ammi..." That word just escaped her lips in a low whisper and I sensed shiver in her voice.

"Ammi nahi jaa sakti...Ammi nahi jaa sakti.." She whispered again, raising her eyes and met mine. I blinked looking at her, stupefied for a moment and something hitched in my throat when she shook her head and quickly stood up, running outside.

"Hawa??" I called out confusedly and hurriedly followed her out of the mansion.

"Ammi!!!" With sky shattering, she screamed her heart out at the doorway and the men stopped from taking a step ahead. They turned around and Hawa quickly sprinted towards them and as on cue, it started raining.

"Kahaan le kar jaa rahe hain aap meri Ammi ko?? Chor dijiye unhein!! Aap unhein nahi le sakte!!" She shouted in a loud cracking voice as she tried to get the coffin down and everyone was left stunned.