Chapter 29 - The Promises

Here's your quicky and shorty because I can't wait for the next update! :P

*********

Hawa's POV

I stood there, quietly watching Dr. Zakir treating Abba Ji from his doorway. Ammi stood on the other side of the bed with her worry-full expression as she kept changing her gaze on Abba Ji and Dr. Zakir every now and then. I was still not dared to step in his room so I just froze myself in front of his door, waiting for Dr. Zakir to speak something.

"Khan Sahaab aab bilkul theek hai. Nothing to worry." Dr. Zakir spoke after an eternity silence as he straightened himself and I closed my eyes, letting a puff of air slipped my mouth in relief.

"Alhamdulillah Ya Allah! Thank you!" I hid my face under my palms, hiccuping silently as I felt my heart so light.

"It was his first attack. Thank God woh sirf minor attack tha. Let him rest for few days, then he'll be perfectly fine." Dr. Zakir added and I pulled my hands off my face. I looked ahead and saw Ammi wiped the corner of her eyes as she nodded her head. Abba Ji was just blinking his eyes when suddenly his gaze met mine, freezing me on my tracks. I felt something hitched in my throat and I couldn't even blink my eyes looking at him.

"Take care." Dr. Zakir's firm voice reached out to my eardrums, shaking me to reality again and I gulped down the knots in my throat as he kept staring at me.

"Toh phir main chalta hoon. Allah Hafiz." Dr. Zakir said as he picked his suitcase and I was about to leave too when I heard my name was being called faintly.

"Hawa.." Abba Ji spoke hoarsely, trying very hard to keep his tone under control and my eyes turned wet upon hearing it.

"Hawa ander aao." Ammi called in panic upon hearing him and I turned around, facing them. I was still battling with myself whether I should step in or not when Dr. Zakir walked out of Abba Ji's room.

"Jaao beti." He said, patting my head as a smile was decorated on his elderly face and I gulped down while lowering my eyes.

He then walked off there and I fiddled with my fingers before I brought them up and adjusted my dupatta on my head. I then slowly moved my feet as I lowered my eyes and entered his room for the first time in my life.

I halted myself near his bed and flickered up my eyes at him who was laying under the blanket. He turned to his side and eyed Ammi something. I furrowed when Ammi quickly nodded her head and moved away from there; leaving us alone now.

This place has turned so silent that I could hear the clock ticked around the glass and I gulped down internally. I laid my gaze on him and saw he raised his shivering hand at me while nodding his head, calling me.

I took in a deep breath internally and walked to the side of his bed, near the bedside table. I slowly dropped myself on the floor and could feel my body was rattling as my eyes turned wet.

No one of us said anything, so I decided to break the silence and slowly took hold of his hand. He ran his eyes on me as he let loose his hand in mine.

"Mujhe maaf kar dijiye Abba Ji." I spoke, holding myself back but I couldn't stop a tear from eluding my waterline as those words slipped my tongue. It pained me to see my father in such state because of me.

"Aapko kabhi bhi dukh nahi pohanchana chahti thi main." I added again as I clutched his hand tightly in mine and he just looked at my face, searching for my eyes with his weak ones.

"Par...main aapne aapko bhi rok nahi pa rahi Abba Ji. Mohabbat hogayi hai usse...bohat zyaada." I hiccuped silently and I felt he stiffened himself under my touch, surprised with me. He straightened his head as he looked at the ceiling and wanted to pull his hand away from me but I kept it firmly in mine, didn't want to let it go just yet before he understood my feelings.