24 - Interrogation

Its been a week and now it was the day that Teresa would be let out of the slammer so she could begin living like any other glader. I had hoped my insecurities about her wanting Newt would have died down by this time but evidently they haven't which I know is stupid considering she only called him hot but it was still a new thing for me to be worried about a girl taking Newt. I was used to worrying about the creators or grievers or memories from my past life but Teresa was an all new territory for me to handle.

As I lay in bed with Newt's arm wrapped over my stomach I wondered if things would change with a new girl around. I wondered if people would act different and go back to trying to impress the girl like they had with me.

I didn't plan on getting up at any time soon but when I heard the sound of boys running around frantically near the homestead and gladers shouting, I knew I would have to get up.

I shook Newt awake and told him to get dressed while I climbed out of the bed so that I could pull on my boots and then ran down the stairs so I could see what everybody was fussing about.

For once I didn't need to ask anybody what the problem was because one glance towards the sky told me all I needed to know.

It was no surprise that people were panicking since the usually blue sky that was lit up with the sun and decorated with clouds, was now dark with no life to its grey colour.

I stood in the doorway of the homestead with my mouth agape as I took in the unfamiliar sight while the other gladers were shouting at each other, begging one another for answers that nobody would be able to give.

"What the bloody hell is going on?" Newt asked from besides me as he made his appearance.

"No idea." I muttered under my breath before I started pacing around the Glade as I tried to find somebody I could talk to like Alby or Minho.

I found Alby in the gathering room with a bunch of other gladers surrounding him and Minho who looked like he was as clueless as anybody else.

"For the last shucking time, I don't know what is happening to this place." Alby shouted over everybody else's voices but it didn't make them quiet down, in fact it had the opposite effect.

"What's going to happen?"

"What are we gonna do?"

"Why is this happening?"

"What are you going to do?"

People where shouting their questions at a blank faced Alby who just stood on a chair and listened to everybody's questions without making an attempt to answer them.

Almost on instinct I wanted to quiet the boys down so that we could have a civilised conversation so I did the one thing I knew would shut them all up.

I screamed.

The piercing noise that left my mouth seemed to bounce off of every wall and echo continuously until every glader was silent. When I had everybody's attention on me, I stopped my screaming and looked at each boy expectantly. Nobody moved.

"Well at least I shut you all up." I muttered under my breath but I knew everybody has heard me because of how deadly silent the room was.

"Alright then, would somebody please explain to me why the hell you are all in here when near to none of you are keepers?" I asked the room but nobody met my gaze.