10 - Confident

Newt and I walked out of the lining of trees in silence, I felt calmer than I had ever felt in the Glade an a soft smile was on my lifts which Newt was mimicking on his own facial features. His arm was draped over my shoulder as we walked past the many staring gladers but I couldn't find it in me to be shy or annoyed when I felt so peaceful. I probably sound very bipolar but after talking to Newt and having a moment with one of the few loved ones I remembered I just felt calm and secure, Newt being so close to me did help too.

Instead of going to the room I had been sharing with Newt like I thought we would have done, Newt led me up a rickety ladder a few flights of stairs higher than the one I was already in. When we got to the top I realised it was the roof of the homestead and it had an amazing view. For safety reasons there was a wooden fence around the outside of the roof along the edges so no one would fall of and Newt sat down behind it, ushering me forward to do the same.

I sat down next to the blonde haired boy and looked out over the glade where I could see everyone working or packing up for the day. It was an amazing place to see and I was honoured Newt had shared it with me but the view wasn't what caught my attention, it was the sun. As it gradually started lowering itself out of view for the night the sky began turning an amazing variety of colours. First it started fading from light blue to a faint pink which grew and grew until it was hard to miss, the colour didn't last for long and slowly an orange tint took over the pinkness of the sky and then gradually became darker and darker until the sun was no longer in the sky anymore.

"That was beautiful." I mused as I stared out at the Glade

"I know." Newt whispered

I turned to look at him with a smile on my face to find him already staring at me with something glistening in his eyes. I didn't know what it was but it made me feel happy that he was looking at me like that. I don't know how long we sat up on the roof of that building but after the remaining light of the sky was gone and it was replaced with darkness with only the stars to show there was an actual sky above us, me and Newt had both lay down to stare at all of the many stars as we talked. We didn't talk about anything specific, it was just random things that popped into our heads.

Occasionally, one of us would say something that would have us both laughing hysterically for minutes on end without calming down and it was during those times that I loved watching Newt laugh. His eyes bright, his lips curved into a genuine smile and the laughter spilling from his mouth was all it took for me to know that I did indeed like this boy. He was making me fall for him and I was falling fast and hard.

"When will I be trying out the other jobs then?" I asked after a few minutes of silence

"That depends, do you want to try out the other jobs or do you think there is one that you definitely want to do?" Newt questioned

"I don't know, I don't fancy being a slopper and being a runner doesn't really interest me but being a Med-jack or cook wouldn't be too bad." I said

"I might be able to get Alby to get you that if you want." He said after a moments silence

"Thank you Newt!" I said happily

He chuckled lightly before a serious expression took over his features. He sighed deeply before sitting up and rubbing his mouth as if deep in thought.

"You okay?" I asked as I too sat up

"Yeah," He sighed "I just - you make me want to trust you. That's something I don't usually do easily."

"Is that a bad thing?" I asked worried

"No its just that you opened up to me today and I feel like I should do the same." He mused. I started shaking my head frantically in response.