Chapter 19

Chapter 19

*Sydney's P.O.V*

"Well I'll be damned," Amanda exhaled deeply fixing her vision straight ahead. She didn't dare look at me. Her eyes lay wide and brimming across the room like she had just encountered a apparition. I had just finished scrubbing off the last bits of pancake mix that had dirtied the kitchen. The smell of burning flour filled my apartment along with sweaty sheets from my bedroom. All the boys and the rest of the girls hesitantly left for multitudes of reasons from a sound check to a mall need. Amanda shot her vision swiftly towards my body giving me a sinister grimace. If I didn't know any better I would say she was going mental.

"That was one eventful morning, eh?" I chuckled nervously walking into my living room. Amanda got up from her primary position by the hard metal of the door and towards me. She was silent, too silent to my liking as she sat next to me. The sofa shifted lightly as her weight was added.

"So," Amanda started facing me.

"So," I repeated crossing my legs. My left hand searched over the couch towards the coffee table in order to find the remote. My fingers searched over the cold wood. The remote was the only thing to re leave this awkwardness. I could already predict the upcoming conversation that I didn't and never wanted to have. Even with my best friend the topic of sex was a bit too taboo for me.

"How was it?" She inquired a bit overly forward. She placed her chin on the palm of her hands like an eight year old child listening to her mother about her day at work.

"How was what?" I answered stupidly. Of course I knew what she was hinting at I just didn't want to carry on the conversation.

"You know what. Was he good in bed?"

"Amanda, its nothing to you but I really don't want to have this conversation when I just got finished digesting my breakfast."

"Well is it the truth? Did you have do it with him?"

" 'Did it'? What are you ten? If you really want to know yes, Amanda. We did. It was an in the moment thing though. I don't like him like that; I know it. It was all intimate and bloody crap like that but it meant nothing to me."

"So you used him?" She clarified.

"No of course not!" I retaliated widening my eyes at her. I would never use Niall; he's like a lot puppy in life. If I ever saw him get hurt I wouldn't bare to watch. He means a lot ot me but to much to risk everything. I feel like I had this rant more times than I've quite wanted too. "Last night. When the fireworks went off everything was so serene. I was just blinded by what could come in the future. Everything was happening in slow motion so I just went into it. It was pretty capricious on my part to go through with it but you know, I'm a girl. I do dip shit things. I just hope I didn't hurt him by saying I just wanted to be friends."

"You friend-zoned him!?"

"Why does everyone like to call it that?" I groaned throwing my hands in the air.

"Its a common term would you rather me say you bedded him,"

"I don't know and don't want to know what that means,"

"Its-"

"Stop," I said. "Stop right there. You've gotten everything you need to know. Why not leave me in peace so I can gather myself in order to not die before work tomorrow?"

"Syd, I really think you made a mistake with Niall. I'm on board with this whole Siall thing," Amanda grinned but turned it into a pout very quickly. I stood strong and I wasn't going to change my mind on this; Niall definitely felt the same or else he would have told me so.

"Think whatever you want; but I will never love him,"

"You'll never love anyone," Amanda sighed getting up from the sofa. She gathered her coat and shoes and hugged me goodbye. She wasn't mad, she just wanted me to be happy.

Like every one else in the world.

But sometimes; in order to be happy you have to experience a little sadness. Like they say you can't have a rainbow without a little rain.

*****

"Wow, Sydney. You're actually early for once." My boss retorted scribbling her signatures on a few papers. She grimaced sinisterly at me as I punched my card into the slot.

"Thanks for noticing," I smirked.

"You're on feeding duty today, Martin."

"Alright," I replied grabbing onto my duffel bag. The material of my pants swished as I made my way towards the locker room. It was still early in the morning so not many people had showed up. We were already past opening time but I guess people liked their sleep. I wish I could have that pleasure. When I made it into the stuffy room I noticed one of my colleage's was cleaning out his locker in the back row. I tossed my duffel bag into the empty locker, retying my sneakers and slipping into the back row.

"Hey, whats with the cleaning?" I inquired out of curiosity. It wasn't everyday that a worker got the pleasure to clean out his/her lockers. They usually stayed dirty until we got a break off during the spring or summer.

"I'm not working here anymore," He plainly responded. His facial features looked pained but he obviously tried to hide it.

"Did you quit?"

"No, fired."

"The bwitch fired you?" I asked. "I'm so sorry. If you don't mind me asking; what exactly did you do to get fired?"

"Some people were filing in complaints because apparently I don't do a good enough job of cleaning the dolphin sea walls. So now they're all murky and people can't see through them,"

"Well that's the most ridiculous reason to get fired. Maybe I could talk to her for you,"

"No, its fine. I've already payed my dues." He sighed grabbing his bag and slinging it on his shoulder. "I've got two kids to get home to anyway. Being a single day isn't as easy as people perceive it."

"I hope things get better," I said awkwardly. I regretted ever talking to him. I bet he felt even worse. It made me wonder why he was single. More importantly why his wife left him with two kids. It doubted every ones reasons to love even more.

Overall, it worried me for how much longer I would be working here. I love my job more than anything. Now that he was gone it wouldn't stop my boss from getting rid of me. I dismissed my thoughts trying to get back to work.

Lately, everything had become such a bigger fiasco then it really was.

As I finished feeding the penguins their food I watched Rebel waddle around. She made me smile, and I needed that. I sat down in the middle of the room and let her come near me. A bright idea popped in my head as I watched her fellow mate come near us.

I stood up gathering my things and rushing towards the locker room. I grasped my phone typing away quickly. I had the perfect idea of how to cheer Niall & I up. The perfect way to start a new friendship.

To Niall: Meet me outside the aquarium in twenty?

_____________________________________________

Sorry its short, I've been busy with swimming & stuff. Being exhuasted doesn't really help with my writing.

This is just a filler; but it'll get better trust me.

Drama to come x