Chapter 14

Chapter 14

*Sydney's P.O.V*

"I'm done for the day," I hollered into my boss's office. I heard some shuffling of papers and a heavy lady arise from her seat making the floor quiver. I stood by the door way bracing my body for whatever yelling was soon going to come. I had been leaving work relatively early the past week for personal reasons which brought her to the conclusion that I was slacking. But this one time I really had to rush home, my christmas party was starting within an hour and traffic would most likely be horrendous. I crossed my ankles already feeling the vibrations within my knees out of nervousness. To be completely honest, she scared me.

"What do you mean you're done?" She spat in my face coming from behing the covered wall. I took a step back cowering from her looming appearance.

"I have something to finish at home, I'm really sorry."

"Sorry's not going to cut it sweet heart. You slack off again and thats it for you. Am I clear?" She stated placing her foot by mine. I could hear the loud and obnoxious grinding of her canines. Ringing in my ear came clear that her voice was dead silent. Her eyes stared daggers waiting for me to respond.

"Crystal," I choked out.

"Good. That's tonights pay. Gone." She waved her hand in front of me dismissing me just like that. How more rude can you get. I'm a human being not a dog.

"But I worked a total of 58 hours this week," I retailiated following her into her office. Her room smelled like air freshener, much cleaner compared to the outside of the aquarium.

"Another word, and thats it." She held her forefinger against her neck making a 'zzzz' sound with her lips. I rolled my eyes hiking my bag onto my shoulder. My water proof jacket clinged to my body with the smell of fish and my hair was messy and pulled into a bun. All I wanted to do was sleep and never wake up. Unfortanetly, I had to host a party.

I dragged myself towards the T where a party of old men chatted near the bag of the capsule. I sat myself near the middle where I plunged my ear buds into my ears. I heard nothing but Imagine Dragons calming my inner self.

I felt a tap on my shoulder as I shut my eyes jumping forwards almost out of my seat. I yanked the cord out of my ear and turned around swiftly.

"Excuse me, miss?" The elderly gentlemen inquired.

"Yes?"

"You dropped your house keys, I persume." His voice teppered up and down filling with raspyness. He smiled gently at me placing the silver keys into my palm.

"Thank you so much." I praised wrapping my fingers around the metal. He smiled again turning back around to join his wife who smiled at me with a little wave. I had never really experienced something so subtly kind. Usually they just held a door or something. But that saved the difference between me getting into my apartment or not.

After a few more stops the elderly people got off leaving me all alone until when I had to get off. I was used to the long rides, I got to think about stuff my brain couldn't handle when I was running after birds. It was calming rather than my apartment building where you often times heard either the next door neighbors having the night of their lives or a breaking couple. Either way they were distasteful sounds.

When I arrived at my station I swiftly made my way up the cement stairs to the open city where I would walk a few blocks to my apartment complex. It wasn't far at all, I need the excersize. I hadn't run in forever and like I said the gym was not my  kind of place.

Placing the key into the door jam I unlocked seeing the girls enjoying a few drinks on the couch with Harry & Zayn. Harry greeted me with a large grin while Zayn hooted at the television. Some type of sports show. The girls had nice cocktail dresses on while the boys just had plain shirts with dress pants.