Chapter 47

Chapter 47

*Sydney's P.O.V*

"I swear to god, all your conspicuous surprises are going to end badly someday." I spoke leaning my head against the cool glass of the car. The sun was finally shining again so I could dig out an old sundress. I hadn't realized how much I missed my legs feeling free rather than the constriction of pants. The may weather was a relief to Niall as well. He got to trade in his stiff pants for athletic shorts. It didn't make him any less attractive though; if anything he seemed happier. Quite odd really; weather did loads to people. Rain made me sad, sun made me happy. It seemed like a track of regular things.

"What's your definition of bad things?" He scoffed turning onto another street in the city. Once and while he would turn to face me and grin as I would blink to meet his gaze. For some reason it made me quite uncomfortable when he would eye me like that. Not in a pedo - kind of uncomfortable. More like, what is he thinking and why. I wasn't used to such affectionate attention.

"A stroke, maybe a heart attack. I mean anything could happen. Just watch a thousand ways to die,"

"You're full of it," He laughed his toothy laugh making a smile curl onto my lips. His hand reached out for mine as he enveloped it inside his digits. "I promise you, Sydney Martin, you will not be in any danger of death nor cardiac arrest."

"Never say never."

"As much as I like Justin Beiber. You can not say that in this case," He continued to hold my left hand in his right as he used his opposite hand to steer the car. Ever so often he would glance out the window to read the street signs to make sure he knew where we were going. At least I hoped he did.

"I can say whatever I please," I huffed confidently.

"Stubborn as ever, I see."

"I'd like to think of it as opinioned."

"Stubborn."

"Opinioned," I construed.

"Whatever you say, babe." Babe. The last word rung in my ear making my insides churn in similar patterns. How did such a simple word send me to such a euphoric place? I had no idea. My cheeks reddened as he glanced over at my silenced composure. "What? No come back?"

"Not this time," I bit my tongue not knowing how to respond to his nickname for me. What would I say? 'Babe, I like that. Call me that again.' That sounds overly feminist and demeaning in my part.

"No snooty comment on how you have no idea where we're going?"

"I'll let the driver do the talking," I gleamed trying to get my body under control.

"Well in that case. We're almost there." He said before retrieving his hand from mine. My hand felt cold and odd without his enraptured in my small one. I placed it in-between my thighs slotting it so my finger tips touched the base of the leather seat. Some Coldplay song hummed through the speakers like usual as we sat in silence the rest of the ride. I don't know why I thought it was an awkward silence. Why do humans need sounds to make a scene less tense and awkward? That would always be a mystery to me. Niall seemed at complete ease as he pulled into a parking lot. I'd thought by now with all the adventures Niall had taken me on I would recognize the area quite soon but the place still seemed foreign to me. Niall parked the car, got out, and swiveled to my side to open the door for me. I hopped out squeezing my feet together in the sandals I wore. The wind bit at the edges of my open feet as Niall shut the door behind me. He shoved his car keys in his pocket and placed his hand in front of my torso. I took it as the idea he wanted me to hold it. He didn't have to ask, I would have taken it anyway. I guess he thought he did something wrong in the car when I had become silenced. That's the problem Niall, you never do anything wrong.