Chapter 28

Chapter 28

*Niall's P.O.V*

"Look I don't want to talk right now. I would think you would be able to respect that." I spoke harshly burying my head in my knees. I felt a light wisp of wind against the back of my neck sending chills up my spine. I didn't hear the door close all I heard was a few foot steps across the ice ridden ground.

"Liam sent me out here," He simply replied sitting down next to me.

I scoffed, "And I thought for a second you were going to apologize."

"I can't apologize if I don't mean it," He shrugged. He had no sympathy for my position what so ever. Everyone hated Sydney for no apparent reason. I was a man on a sinking ship. But I wasn't going to let that stop me. I would defend her until the ends of the earth as cliché as that sounds.

"You make me sick Harry. So so utterly sick and you don't even care," I started saying looking straight ahead. I could feel his angry presence but it was obvious he was trying to hold back for Liam's sake. "You don't care that I may love this girl and you go ahead and insult her like there's no tomorrow. Its beyond me to why you don't even think about what your going to say before you go ahead and say it. One of the many traits you lack, Harry."

"You're sort of being a hypocrite right now," He said.

"Hypocrite?" I laughed sickly. "How am I being a hypocrite?"

"You said I was bad for insulting Sydney. But you go ahead and openly insult me,"

"You just don't get it," I spoke to myself. I got up swiftly and stormed towards my car. We were leaving for tour in two days and all I wanted to do was see Sydney but I knew she had work. I jammed my car keys into the ignition glancing at Harry slam the studio door shut. I would have an earful tomorrow. Especially since we would all be living in tight quarters with the tour bus and all. I backed out of the parking lot and pressed my heel onto the accelerator. The sounds of grinding metal spun in my head as I sped off towards my home.

*Sydney's P.O.V*

Shit.

Shit.

And more shit lay in front of me. I hadn't been at work for nearly a week and a half so the penguins were fairly irritable. Not to mention how my boss was acting. I swear she wouldn't understand sympathy if it hit her straight in the head. I stopped by the supply closet before entering the exhibit. Of course grabbing a shovel, gloves, and air freshener I made my journey into the smelly room.

The penguins ventured freely around some of the little kids examined the flightless birds as they pressed there hands and noses against the pained glass. I went behind the little plastic igloo to begin shoveling the bird crap.

I began to rethink why I got this job in the first place. I had majored marine biology in college and minored in a physics of the sort. I always loved animals and science. Even as a child being a zoo keeper had always been my job in mind. I saw an opening there were many apartments near by and more importantly it was away from my parents.

My parents are the over protective type. I swear I would rather live with my putrid aunt then step foot in my parents home again. They were basically freaks to a whole new level. Everyone wondered how I came out like this. I'd like to blame it Abbey since we basically grew up together. But right now I didn't want to place that name with a face in my mind.

"Oh Sydney," I heard someone whistle.

"Yes?" I inquired whipping my head around. I placed the shovel in the bin considering my shoveling job was almost complete. My boss with a sinister look on her face stood in front of me. "Oh. What is it?"

"Can I speak to you in my office for a moment?"

"Um," I spoke. "Alright." I pulled off my gloves, wiped my hands onto my cackies and padded out of the exhibit. My boss had already disappeared into her office; it was wonders how she was so fast. She must weigh a ton.

I pulled off the white lab coat I had on leaving me in my navy blue polo shirt. Not the most attractive uniform but it had to do. It kind of sucked Niall had to see me in this as often as he came. But he didn't seem to care. I was thinking about him more and more lately ever since that evening we spent together. I was pretty upset he was leaving in two days but I knew I would survive. I had my penguins and video games. The whole night club thing was out of my system ever since the girls left me.

It seemed like my life in the fastlane had died pretty quickly.

"What is it that you need to talk to me about," I started sitting in the chair in front of her desk. She focused on the computer screen squinting her eyes at the light. For all I know she was watching porn on that computer.

Wouldn't be surprised.

"Tomorrow,"

"What about tomorrow?" I asked.

"I need you to take the night shift from 7:30 to midnight,"

"Midnight?" My mouth dropped as I already imagined a tired lifeless body scooping bird shit.

Lovely.

"Our night staff is taking tomorrow off for some interview in Los Angeles,"

"Interview?"

"We're thinking of expanding the chain of aquariums to other places. You know more business, more money. I mean you should like that considering it bounces your pay,"

"Will the aquarium be open?"

"It always is," She crossed her arms over her chest smiling wryly at me.

"So I don't have to come in until 7:30 tomorrow night?"

"Yes,"

"Fanfuckingtastic," I sighed.

"Thanks for your time, Sydney." She warned not liking my tone.

"No thank you," I shot her a quick smile before heading into the locker room to pack up for the night. I grabbed my phone out of my locker dialing Niall's number.

"Hello?"

"Hey Niall,"

"Oh hey Syd,"

"Everything okay?" I inquired. Now he seemed like he was down.

"Yeah. Just really tired; long day at work."

"I know the feeling," I chuckled dryly. "So."

"Yeah?"

"You up to coming by the aquarium at like 9 tomorrow?"

"Sure, we can say our goodbye's then,"

"Don't remind me,"

"Don't worry, its just a short two months."

"Only two months," I spoke sarcastically.

"Alright, Blondie. I gotta go take the train home. I'll see you tomorrow."

"9 o clock."

"9 o clock," I repeated.

"Bye," He replied before ending the call.

I gathered my jacket and put my ear buds into my ears hearing daft punk blare into my head.