The End...?

There was something about decorating the Christmas tree that made me feel about five years old. Well, I didn't get that last year as all I had was a small plastic tree that cost me ten dollars, that Alfie, kept trying to eat. He did manage to get some of the decorations I had on it, convinced I was lying to him and they were actually some new kind of lolly he hadn't seen before. It really ruined the magic of it all, much like how the year before when my family was in the process of moving around the country trying to find Jordan, and our stuff stayed locked away in a storage locker. Nothing says Merry Christmas like a living out a suitcase and sharing a one bedroom hotel room with your parents.

This year was normal and I loved it.

Mum had on her ridiculous collection of Christmas albums, and right now Mariah Carey was one high note away from sending Annipe to the dark-side as she glared at the stereo, poised to strike. So maybe it wasn't completely normal, considering two Apopythe demons bopped around the house with their own custom made Santa's hats on. Maybe if they had been poodles or golden retrievers or really chilled out cats, but giant snakes? Not a chance.

"Don't touch." I warned her, ignoring the hiss that followed.

I finish putting the final few baubles on the tree branch as Dad comes in with the star. Understandably in our family, losing Christmas ornaments in an attic that doubles as a weapon storage isn't strange occurrence either.

"Found it!" Mum smiles as she comes in behind him.

I step back to admire my handiwork as Jordan takes a seat on the edge of the sofa behind me. Mum watches Dad take the star out of the box as if he about to light the Olympic torch and pushing his way closer to the front, Alfie stares at it as eagerly as my Mum. Surprising all of us, and breaking tradition - Dad offers it to him to put up. Alfie's chest puffs out slightly, either in anticipation of a snack or showing off because all the attention is on him. Mariah skips a word and looking behind us, Annipe quickly looks away.

"Annipe, leave the stereo alone. Alfie, do not eat that!" I warn, feeling like a controlling parent as both my demons get 'the look' to behave.

With a sigh, he carefully takes it with the end of his tail and positions the star on the top of the tree. Mum flicks the switch and the lights come on, drawing Annipe in closer, which works out well for what's next and our tunes.

"This is for you darling!" Mum pats Annipe as she passes her, another small box in her hands. She pulls out a sparkling black and white bauble with a big red A on one side, matching the emerald one she showed Alfie earlier. It was cruel how she let Anni think she didn't get one, but Alfie ruined his surprise by again, trying to eat what was in the box. "This A is for Annipe."

The demon gets excited by this. The tip of her tail starts to wag and her mouth opens in a smile. Its' adorable and pulling out my phone, I quickly take a video of what's about to happen.

"Anni-ssss!" Her head practically sits on Mum's arm as she reaches out to hang it beside Alfies. "My ball!"

It's a bit of a surreal moment, sitting in the living room around the Christmas tree with my family being, well, a family. Then Alfie has to go and try and take a bite of one of the branches, earning him a tap on the nose. For a snake, he does guilty well and dips low, looking away as though he is in trouble. Never mind the bit of green poking out the side of his mouth. Shaking my head, he slinks back behind us, slurping up the plastic as he passes me. This is as good as it gets and reaching back, I scratch under his chin.

Actually only one thing could make it better and that is having all my family here. Zane was out chasing abominable snowmen in some stupid remote village in Northern Europe. I didn't pay attention to the details, just worked on sulking when he said he might not be back in time for Christmas. I died twice this year, I deserved to have everyone here to celebrate or at least that's what I told him when laying on the guilt.