Chapter Seven.

I wait for the flicker of recognition, of anger - just something, as Cain looks the pair of us over. Luckily, Sobek is unaffected and bows forward slightly, while pushing me to the left and out of Cain's way.

"I do apologise," he offers a curt smile and we start down the steps.

I can't breath, not until I know we're away from him and as my foot touches the path back to the street, the elbow that isn't being crushed by Sobek's, is grabbed and I'm spun around.

"Do you know, what you are?" Cain asks demandingly; ignoring Sobek completely.

"I beg your pardon?" I try to tug my arm free, but he isn't letting go. "Get your hands off me!"

I feel tempted to throw in a 'good sir' and try to think on how I can talk without sounding out of place. Hopefully my attempt at copying his and Sobeks old English accent isn't too terrible; Logan always teases me when I do it joking round. I think Cain doesn't notice or maybe he does as his dark eyes narrow on mine.

Clearly, this isn't the Cain I know, but an earlier edition. This should offer me some comfort, but it doesn't. I'm pretty sure than Cain doesn't want to hurt me - this one, I know nothing about. He looks the same, but different. He isn't quite Darius, nor is he the man that visited me in the library. Could Darius have looked different each time I saw him and I just never noticed?

"It is my turn to apologize, may I ask your name?"

I finally get my arm back, but it's obvious he isn't going anywhere as he remains in our path. Sobek straightens, and I think he hoping to try and intimidate Cain as he stands over him by a good couple of inches. Two women and what I think is their maid walk by, all three casting curious looks in our direction before they enter the building; whispering to one another in such a way I know they're talking about us. Do we look out of place here, or is the confrontation blindly obvious. Maybe they're just gossiping ye olde bitches.

Sobek shakes his head, "Enough of this folly. Come along."

He leads me away and this time Cain doesn't stop us. It's rather chivalrous of him really and I play along. It's going into one of those dress up towns where they re-enact the past, and you pay to go gold digging in the creek on the outskirts of the town or to get your photo taken in period costume. How many people, well apart from the immortal and supernatural who apparently have no trouble bopping back and forth through time, get to experience this?

"That was too close." He whispers, nodding in greeting as we pass people in the busy streets.

Horse drawn carriages clamber by and as we approach a park, we end up stopping at a bench by the pond. I feel like I belong in a Jane Austen novel or even one of those regency romances Mum has a small stash off in the bottom shelf of the bookcase.

"What a rake of a man!" I sigh, not hiding my amusement at the look he gives me. "Sorry, when in Rome!"

Sobek only shakes his head. "I need to find out where the event is happening. Do nothing to draw even more attention to us. Sit!"

"I'm sorry, you're the one who planted us in a church, where he was going. Why was Cain even there?" I ask.

"Probably for the reason why all people go to church." He mumbles, fiddling with a mini version of the globe that brought us here. Sobek looks my way briefly before shaking his head again. "To speak to God. We aren't where we need to be, I don't know why he was here, but I brought us to him."

The rest of what he said I didn't hear. "The, God? Like he exists?"

"Hunter, you are sitting beside a God. You question anothers existence?"