Chapter Thirty-Four

"So, I guess this counts as what, father son bonding time?" I called out, and the lightning paused.

"You!" Zeus snarled.

"Me!" I smiled, and using the distraction, Cain managed to knock Cronus over. Yet before we could attack Zeus again, he took aim and not giving me a chance to defend myself, Cain chose to do that instead of take the shot.

"I can look after myself, take him down!" I ordered.

After that, Cain and I found a rhythm, one of us blocked and the other attacked. Anything they threw at us, he could handle with ease, and his ability to replicate  powers made it impossible for them to get one over him. Yet we couldn't find an advantage either and struggled to get some kind of control of the situation. It was maddening.

"We need to split them up." He decided; stating the freaking obvious.

"Any ideas super man?" I was all out, focusing solely on not being blasted away than anything else.

"I'll try to-"

Suddenly everything changed and it took me a second to work out I wasn't where I just was. Before I could go back, I never saw the hit coming and as pain exploded in my jaw I went stumbling backwards. Again and again I was attacked, and getting myself together, managed to preempt another hit and dodged it.

"Hera." I spat a mouthful of blood onto the ground beside me and had my sword ready in one hand.

 She stood before me looking as immaculate as when she had been sitting on her throne. Nothing had changed except for something smooth and metal now covered her chest, with similar bands on each wrist. Guess this was her battle outfit.

"I don't like you. I don't like what you've done, or what you hope to achieve by coming here. I protect what's mine, whether that be my family, my husband or my throne and right now, you are a threat to all of it."

"It's funny you say that, because you're completely right. I am a threat."

She walked right up to me, clearly not afraid of the sword in my hand and looked me over in obvious disgust before letting out a short, bitter laugh. "Yes. I can see that."

Unfortunately for me, the bitch knew how to fight. Her skills with a sword matched my own and since she had forever to know how to use her gifts to the best of the ability I had mine for barely a couple of days, Zeus's queen was at an advantage and she realised it as I did. What ever it was that turned my hands into magical weapons was weakening and I was relying more and more on only my skills than that convenient gift. This time when she struck, I wavered and suddenly we entered a battle of the wills rather than ability. Our strength seemed equally matched as we glared at each other over the edge of each blade, and risking her taking control, I moved myself quickly to the side and punched her. She hadn't been able to turn in time to block it, and this time she staggered backwards with a horrible shriek that would rival a banshee's scream.

Hades undead army that had been lingering around us changed direct and charged for her. Why the guy had never decided to take over this place on his own was beyond me since they really seemed to have it covered. I caught a glimpse of him by the hill I had arrived on, sitting on a throne of bones and essentially just watching. Now I looked up to find him concentrating on Hera and from the dirt, more of the zombie like ghouls rose. Hopefully he had a never ending supply of those, and yet with Hera occupied, I still couldn't go back to Cain as two men came at me from either side.

"And who are you two supposed to be, Tweedledum and Tweedledee?"

Swords raised clearly they weren't big talkers and as I got a clear shot and stabbed one of the identical pair in the gut, the other managed to get me from behind. His grip was ridiculous and I was thrown as easily as a football player could throw a ball. Being immortal had its perks as despite being winded and hurting, I bounced back quicker than I knew I would have before.