Chapter Twenty-Seven

I stared back at Artemis, barely blinking as she raised her bow. The golden arrow caught the morning light, causing the tip to sparkle. She was showing off, using what should really be art in an expensively decorated home - maybe even part of a new collect at Tiffany and Co, not being pointed at my head. Mum had actually gasped when Artemis revealed her arrows, so did I when I saw the diamonds that decorated the shaft and the oh so sharp head. Now she was actually going to fire one at me. Against the idea, and unable to watch, Mum was currently baking apple pies she apparently would serve at my funeral if this went wrong. I thought that was a little dramatic, but at least we had pie for later.

"Death wish. She has a death wish." Hermes mumbled to my right. "Stupid stupid!"

I didn't bother to look at Logan, who stood right beside him. His silence said enough - he agreed.

"You know, I was reading one those Greek mythology books again and it said that you and Art were actually half-related Hermes." I taunted now. The incest element of his secret love had really grossed me out, but then Logan reminded me - as Artemis had previously too, you can't trust everything you read. "So, she's what? Your sister."

He knew what I was implying and luckily, I hope, Artemis was far enough away she couldn't hear our conversation. Either way, Hermes concern quickly disappeared.

"I hope she spears you through the eye!" He growled.

There was no warning, no countdown; nothing to give me a clue that she was even about to shoot - well apart from the whole raised bow thing. She just did it and the clink of my sword connecting with her arrow filled me with relief as reflexes I had put my trust in came to life. This whole little exercise had been my idea. If I could dodge one of her oh so infamous, never miss a shot, shots - I liked my chances against what ever else these Powers could throw my way. The first time I'd been put the test, I had been unprepared. The second, I kind of was too. This time, I was ready.

"Maybe you guys should stick to the whole mind manipulation thing. Oh wait, that hasn't worked out so well either." Logan shook his head, as Hermes face started to turn a little red and then he smiled. A cocky, you're going to regret that now, kind of slyness poured from it and somehow, I managed to spin, and raise my sword in time to deflect another arrow. "Nice try."

Artemis appeared beside me and clapped. "Well done."

"Thanks!" I took a little bow and she rolled her eyes.

"So modest."

"You have no idea." Logan added, and dropped his arm over my shoulders.

"Can I ask you something?" I looked at Artemis and she nodded. "Why do you all do the mind control thing?"

She frowned at that and Logan and Hermes started to walk ahead of us maybe getting this confused with a chance for some girl talk. "Not all of us can and those who have the gift all vary in what they are able to do. Luckily, Powers can not do it to other Powers. Not even, him. Your Cain."

I didn't like how she said that and quickly moved on.

"I killed Bollocks or what ever his name was because he tried and it didn't work. Hades, almost met the same fate. If he was in my head, shouldn't he have seen that and tried something else?"

"He wasn't in your head, not like Buluc was able to be. Hades power is persuasion and while those gifts do not work on us, even I know how persuasive he can be." She winked, before adding dreamily. "That voice."

"Those eyes." I agreed too quickly. "So you two...?"

"No. Never. Yet when he gets sweet talking, putting all kinds of ideas into your head when there is already a desire within you, well you can see how he can talk you into doing anything. He has the lips of a sinner." She actually giggled now. "Oh Hades."