Chapter Eighteen.

It's funny how quickly things can change. One minute we're taking a break from the ridiculous of the hike Toyo seemed to set us up for since her zapping skills leave little to be desired, then the next minute we're being attacked by bees. They fly silently, void of the tell tale buzzing the garden variety of these insects seem to possess. Not that it matters, they're not exactly hard to miss since their size range from something like a basketball to a motorbike, but it's the smaller ones who seem to be on the attack.

"Elise!" Jordan shouts, rushing to my side as a stinger that is a perfect replica of the dagger I'm holding, barely misses my shoulder.

Pulling out his gun, my brother fires four shots at the bug which instead of seeming to hurt it, makes its black eyes turn red and its attacks become more frenzied. Instantly I remember what Cain had mentioned about swords.

"No guns!" I scream, hoping everyone can hear me.

Sure enough, the gunshots end and as I take a swipe at our attacker, Sobek's sword slices through the armored body with the same kind of ease it would have cutting bread. I fight back to back with my brother, Logan and Drew soon joining us as we keep a tight circle of defense. Arrows are coming from a nearby tree, taking out the bugs as they fly in which helps us since they come down already injured, while Toyo comes and goes all over the place taking them out in her demon form.

"What the hell are these things?" Drew manages to ask.

"You're the brains of our group! You tell me!" He manages to roll his eyes at me before one clever little bee dodges the air support and knocks him down. "Drew!"

Without thinking I kick the creature off him, finally earning a buzz from it as it rolls on the ground. It's mouth opens revealing more teeth than a shark before I'm being charged at instead of Drew. I raise my sword ready, and just like the bee, was not expecting Logan's blade to appear out of no where to behead it.

"That works." He shrugs, offering his hand to Drew to help him up.

As quickly as they came, the swarm disappears. Looking around, the lumps of the dead all start to deflate with little more than a wisp of smoke covering the space they had once occupied. I hadn't seen that before, so I guess you really do learn something new everyday.

"Where did they go?" Drew asks dumbly.

Sam, Nigel, Chris and Tom come running out of the trees with Tom and Sam having their bows ready at their sides. Nigel keeps his eyes up as Toyo walks over to stand beside me still in her Kasha form.

"They just, left." Sam answers.

"So, what do we do now then?" Tom looks my way.

"Keep moving. They might be back, so we'll stick to the trees." I tell them. "No guns, keep to your swords and arrows."

"Yeah, guns just seemed to piss them off." Jordan agrees.

"And then what?" Tom pushes and I look at him expectantly. "That's it? Just stick to the trees? No plan?"

Plan; that four letter, pain in my ass of a word. "Yeah. That is the plan until I decide otherwise."

He snorts, clearly unimpressed.

"Let's go." Nigel urges, and starts back to the treeline with the rest of us falling into line behind him.

"You okay?" Logan asks from behind me.

"Yeah. You?"

"Well, this wasn't how I saw our little trip to Mexico going."

"Me either." I agree.