Chapter Thirty-One

Cain had gone quiet; more than just being his usual, sulky, moody, annoying self. I wasn't sure what home had meant for him exactly, though judging by my little vision thingo, it clearly had sentimental value for him - probably from when he was a child. If nothing, I was glad he decided to share with me some of his past in Hermes little prison, because I decided to respect his silence and give him time to think or mourn; whatever this was.

At the same time I was quietly screaming at him to get back to the plan. With every step we took through the town, I felt like it was in the wrong direction for where we needed to be going. Finally he started walking as though he had some purpose, and as we paused outside a tavern, the merry tunes were insane seemed strange considering what we had just witnessed on the other side of town. 

"We need to blend in." Cain finally said, his features adjusting to a similar look of Leo with a big beard and bulky weight. "You  too."

"No one here will know me, does it matter?"

"Yeah. Everyone knows everyone here, so if you don't at least try to blend in, you're going to stick out even more."

"Can't we go somewhere else then?" Instead of answering me, he put a hand on my shoulder and a strange jolt went through me. Saying nothing, he turned and went inside. "Um, okay?"

"Don't talk until we're seated." He instructed and looking down, my clothes were gone. Instead I wore a gown that reminded me of what Artemis had worn the first time I met her only this one seemed to have only one real purpose, which was to push up my cleavage.

"Are you kidding me? Are you trying to make me have a Janet Jackson moment in this thing?" Instantly I started to fuss, but he quickly stopped me as went inside.

"Look around." All the women here were dressed in similar attire. "This isn't a nice part of town and compared to your realm, the customs are more medieval. We will eat, book a room for the night, and I will do some talking to the locals and see what's been going on before we make our move."

"Fine." I snapped, obediently following him in. The first slap on my ass had me biting my tongue so I didn't turn around and test out my new powers on the jerk who had done it. The second, Cain actually saw and was apparently gentlemanly enough to threaten cutting off the idiots hand if he did it again.

"You know how to make a lady feel special." I mocked, but he ignored that.

Instead I got his arm around my waist as he held me close, acting like a dog with a bone as he practically carried me through the crowded room. From a small raised platform that didn't look as though it could actually support the bands weight, happy tunes I didn't know drowned out the assortment of voices. Really the whole place looked like it should have been one of the ones being burned down. The stench of stale beer, mixed with the body odor of the men and much too sweet perfume of the ladies was giving me a headache, so after talking to a woman who didn't speak any language I was familiar with, I'd never been happier to find myself locked away in a small bedroom with Cain.

Until another thought occurred to me as I saw the double bed by the window. "Oh god, is this place like a brothel? Am I going to catch a disease from those sheets?"

"Who knows. Shall I change it for something more to your standards?" He clicked his fingers and the old bed was gone, replaced with what I hoped was just a replica of my bed from home.

"Better." Passing a mirror before I sat down, I froze. My hair had been turned white, and pinned up into ringlets I doubt any hairdresser could replicate. "You made me look like a poodle!"

"Dinner will be here shortly. There should be a bathroom through that door." He pointed out, moving to sit at the small table in the corner. Clearly needing a minute, he rested his head on his hands, staring blankly at the dusty wooden surface.