Chapter TwentySix - Peyton & Rylie

•A•

Peyton and Rylie sit in the living room on the sofa side by side. Their nine daddy's sit on the remaining seats or on the floor. They got called in from playing outside because their daddy's needed to speak with them.

They can both tell that something has been going on but are unaware of what it is but both Peyton and Rylie think that today they will find out.

Rylie finds Peyton's hand and she links their fingers together, holding on tight. Peyton flexes her own fingers before tightening her hold on the hand in hers.

"What's the matter daddy?" Peyton asks when she see's her Daddy Gabriel fiddling with his earring. She's picked up on this as a sign to when he's nervous.

His blue eyes meet her dark brown ones and he stops fiddling with the earrings. "Someone please tell them."

Both girls look from one daddy to another, wanting one of them to tell the girls what has been going on, what they need to know. Finally setting their eyes on grey ones. Daddy Owen walks towards them slowly before sitting down at their feet.

"Girls, there is something we need to tell you. It's going to be hard, because we can't explain all the details to you now as your to young to understand them. One day, when your old enough you'll be told and I hope that you will understand that...this person had a good heart, a beautiful heart and thought everyone else before themselves."

Rylie starts nervously fiddling with the bracelet around her wrist while Peyton starts pushing her fingers to her lips. Daddy Nathan moves from his seat on another sofa and sits down next to Peyton, capturing her hand in his. "Don't do that that, Love Bug." He whispers. Peyton feels bad as she knows that's something her Mom used to do.

Daddy North moves across the room and sits down next Rylie. He takes her hand in his, stopping the jingle of the charms. "Everything is okay, Baby Cakes." He kisses Rylie's temple. "Tell them Owen."

The girls move their eyes back to Daddy Owen. He pushes his glasses up his nose and looks up at them, his eyes moving from one to another. "Peyton, Rylie...your Mommy is alive." He whispers.

The girls don't remember much about their Mom so they rely on stories and pictures. They've always known that she died when they were still young.

"Where has she been?" Peyton asks, a frown between her eyebrows as she slowly starts to understand that her Mommy is alive.

Owen rubs his hand across his jaw as he gazes at his daughters. What could he tell them that didn't make him out to be a liar when they do ask for the truth when they are older? All the boys refuse to forever keep the secret of where Sang has been and even Sang herself has said that one day when the twins are old enough to understand she will tell them because they have a right to know why their Mom disappeared for six years of their life.

"I can't answer that one, Peyton and I am sorry." Owen says to his daughter. "But can you trust me when I say one day you will know, just not today?"

Peyton looks at her Daddy before turning to look at her twin. Peyton with her green eyes and Rylie with her brown; the only thing that can pull the two apart when it comes to looks. The twins look at each other, silently communicating like they've seen their Daddy's do so many times in their lives.

Rylie nods her head; she's trusting her Daddy's to one day tell her where their Mom has been. Peyton breaks eye contact with her sister and nods her head. "Okay."

"When will we see her?" Rylie asks, Daddy North gently stroking her hand with his thumb, comforting her.

"She will be here soon." Owen replies. "But there are some things you have to understand first."

Sean moves from his place in the chair and sits down next to his brother and in front of his daughters. They had discussed the night before on how they would explain to the twins Sang's scars because they knew that one day they will see them. Best preparing them for it then not.

Sean wraps his hands around the twins joint hands, getting their attention. "Mommy isn't the same as she was, too the stories we have told you. Shes been hurt but we can't tell you how, not yet."

"Is she badly hurt?" Rylie voices, her eyes on locked on Sean.

Sean shakes his head. "No but she has scars."

Rylie's eyes brighten. "Like the one on my knee; a war wound you said." Rylie had been chasing Gabriel and Luke with water pistols last summer. Rylie had fell over and badly scrapped and cut her knee on the concrete. Rylie kept picking at the scab so it didn't heal properly, leaving a little white scar.

Sean smiles at the memory. "Yes, exactly like that."

"How long until Mommy is here?" Peyton asks, looking around at all her Dads.

Kota checks the time by using the watch on his wrist. "She'll be here in twenty eight minutes."

Rylie's eyes widen and Peyton's mouth drops open. "Daddy, my hair." Peyton cries. "My hair needs doing, Daddy." She says looking towards Gabriel.

"Nu-uh. You should have let me do it this morning when I asked." Gabriel said, grinning on the inside because he would love nothing more then to make his girls look even more prettier then what they are before their Mommy comes home.

"I need to change my dress." Rylie cries. She looks down at it, spotting a tiny bit of dirty from where she fell over on the grass.

Gabriel's eyes widen when the bottom lip starts to poke out. "So much like Trouble." He grumbles as he stands. "Come on then." The girls grin and they get up from their seats, running after Gabriel as they go up the stairs. As they start getting changed and have their hair done, the twins start to feel the butterflies in their stomachs, wondering silently is she looks as pretty as the photos.