Chapter 24

I head into Klaus's kitchen and open up the fridge. For the past few days I've been coming in and out checking on him, he really hasn't said much to me, but I can tell he appreciates me coming over to see what he's up to. I grab a blood bag and head upstairs to where he is residing. I quietly knock on the door and he turns his gaze towards me.

"I brought lunch. I figured I'd stop by to see how you were doing before I headed off to the memorial for Mrs. Lockwood" I say to him. He's painting, he's been doing a lot of painting. It settles his nerves.

"Thank you" He nods as he takes the blood bag from my hand.

"No problem, do you need anything else before I leave?" I ask Klaus curiously.

"No, but thank you, Penelope" Klaus says. I smile and turn around, ready to leave, but I feel something splatter all over the back of me. I turn around and see Klaus with his paint brush with a cunning look on his face. "Sorry love, my brush slipped" Klaus says with a boyish smirk on his face.

"Oh my god. You seriously did not just do that" I say outraged, but it makes me happy he's being playful with me. Suddenly he flicks more paint on me causing me to gasp.

"I'm sorry, love. I don't know what has gotten into me" Klaus says trying to be all cute.

"You are dead!" I say to him playfully. I dip my hand in some paint and flick it at him while sticking my tongue out.

"If it's war you want love, it's war you'll get" Klaus says with a evil smirk. I squeal and try and get away knocking a paint can over onto the sheet he always paints on to preserve the floor. Klaus grabs me and puts me over his shoulder.

"Klaus!" I squeal as he pins me down on the sheet, rolling me in the wet paint and dipping his hands in it to smear it all over my face and clothes. "Klaus stop!" I squeal while laugh.

"Surrender!" He smirks as he continues to smear the paint on my legs and shirt. I continue to laugh and squeal, trying to push him off of me as I try to get him covered in paint, but fail at it. "Surrender!" He warns me again as I continue to squeal.

"Fine! Fine! I surrender!" I say trying to recover from my fit of laughter. Klaus finally gets off me and pulls me to my feet. A devilish smile comes across my face. "Did I tell you that I love you?" I ask Klaus as I walk over and hug him tightly, making sure to smear the paint all over him.

"I deserved that one" Klaus chuckles as he wraps his arms around me. I let go from the hug and walk over to his painting. It's a picture of a starry night, with all the stars basically revolving around the moon, it's absolutely beautiful.

"This is beautiful" I tell him as I admire the painting. Klaus comes behind me and drapes his arm over my shoulder, wrapping his arms around my neck in a loving embrace as I put my hands on his arms.

"It's of us, love" Klaus whispers into my ear, sending chills down my spine.

"What do you mean?" I ask him, the words falling from my lips as I examine the painting.

"I am the night sky, while you are the moon and the stars. Without the moon and the stars, the night sky is dark and lonely. It shows the beauty in the night sky, and without the moon and the stars, everyone sees the ugly in it, the darkness, but with the moon and the stars, it shows the true potential and beauty something so dark, can have" Klaus says. The mere sound of his voice gives me Goosebumps, and his words soothe me like a lullaby sending a baby to sleep.

"But without the night sky, the moon and the stars beauty will never be amplified, their beauty will stay beautiful, but with the help of the night sky, the moon and stars beauty turns from beautiful to absolutely stunning" I say as I turn around and rest my arms on his shoulders.