Chapter 14

"Matt totally bailed on me, do you mind coming over to the school to help me clean up the gym?" Caroline asks me over the phone.

"Yeah definitely. I have to get out of this house, after everything that has happened with Rick. Elena and Jeremy have been trying to keep theirselves busy, so why shouldn't I?" I tell Caroline as I grab my purse.

"Yeah I agree. But get here quick, I don't want to do it all by myself" Caroline says hurrying me along.

"Alright Care, I'll be right there" I say hanging up the phone. I walk out of the house and get into my car. I back out of my driveway. Suddenly my phone begins to ring again. It's Klaus. "Hey what's up?" I answer as I drive down the road.

"Well aren't you in a chipper mood" Klaus says, I can hear the smile behind his voice.

"Well, I'm thinking positive ever since everything with Rick happened. Doing a lot of yoga, cleansing my spirit, stuff of that nature" I answer Klaus.

"I'm sorry about the history teacher love, I know you were fond of him" Klaus says in his most sincere voice, even though he isn't the best at being sincere.

"You know what, it's fine. I've moved past it, today is a new day" I say taking a deep exhale.

"Have you changed your mind about accompanying me?"

"No I haven't. But you better visit, like a lot" I say with a little chuckle.

"I will try, love" Klaus says in a serious tone. Suddenly I start to get another call.

"Hold on, I'm getting another call, I will talk to you later, okay?" I assure Klaus.

"Of course, later love" Klaus says as I transfer the call.

"Hello?"

"Penelope, it is Elijah..." I hear Elijah's voice say on the other end. He's been dodging my calls a lot lately so I'm really upset with him.

"So you finally decided to call back.. What changed your mind?" I ask him upset.

"Penelope, I need to speak with you. It is of great importance. We have to speak in person" Elijah says in a serious tone.

"You know what Elijah, it can wait. I'm doing something. Goodbye" I say hanging up my phone as I pull into the school parking lot. I see Caroline trying to get into her car desperately, like she's in trouble. I pull next to her and get out of the car. "Caroline? Are you okay?" I ask her concerned. She drops her keys and looks at me.

"Get out of here P!" She says to me frantically. Suddenly to my extreme shock Alaric comes up behind her and snaps her neck. Oh my god. This can't be happening. Before I know it Alaric grabs me and starts me pulling me inside.

"Rick stop! What are you doing?" I ask him trying to escape his grasp. He doesn't answer me, but his flesh starts to burn, but he doesn't even care. He pulls Caroline and I into the school and into his old classroom. He throws me to the ground and I have no idea what the hell is going on. He places Caroline in a desk and drives pencils through he hands so she can't move. He takes a cloth drenched in vervain and ties it around her mouth. I look at Rick shocked. He comes over towards me.

"Ahh, pretty little Penelope, the mother, the strong female figure in many people's lives, and my favorite. The hybrid wrangler" Rick taunts me.

"No, Rick you don't have to do this. Caroline is innocent, she doesn't need to be in this" I plead to him.

"She's a vampire Penelope! None of them are innocent, neither are the sympathizers, and your sister and you, are the biggest ones I know" Rick snarls at me. "That reminds me, I should give Elena a little call" Rick says as he goes back to the front of the classroom. Suddenly Caroline gasps awake. I quickly run to her as Alaric calls Elena. She starts squirming around and panicking.