Chapter Twenty One

The Young Lord's Guardians

•••

"Have a good rest of the day, sir!" Winry called out to the man exiting the shop. He said nothing, but tipped his hat and smiled politely. Sighing and wiping sweat from her forehead, she leaned on the counter to stretch.

It was strangely quiet this morning - almost afternoon - with Garfiel on a house visit and Sonia in her room sleeping since last night. It was odd to Winry; by now she knew her friend was an early riser. 

Seeing no one outside intrested in coming in, she snuck away for a minute to check up on Sonia. Once upstairs, she called out her name.

"Sonia? Are you awake yet? She knocked on the wood door then let herself in. "You've been sleeping all..."She trailed off, not seeing anyone in the messy bed.

"Sonia?"

 •••

 "Ling, what are we doing?" Sonia complained as she was practically being dragged around town.

"I want you to have brunch with me!"

"With you paying this time, right?" She gave him a glare.

He looked back at her and grinned. "Of course not!"

She pulled on his yellow sleeve, effectively stopping him in his tracks.

"So let me get this straight. You sneak into my room, wake me up, and then kidnap me to a meal I have to pay for?"

Ling looked confused, as if there was absolutely nothing wrong with any of these things.

"Uh... yes?"

"How... curtious. Of you," she said through gritted teeth. A small smirk passed over his face.

"C'mon, Sonia! Lighten up. I have some friends I want you to meet."

He pulled her along as she talked aloud to herself, "This guy has friends?"

They ended up at an outdoor cafe, and since Ling was 100% broke, and Sonia didn't have any cenz, the two only had free water to try to satisfy their hunger.

"You know," Ling started as he put his water down. "Next time we do this, you should bring some money."

"You're so audacious, it drives me crazy."

He pretended he didn't hear her.

"So you wanted me to meet some of your friends?

Ling's face lit up and he held up a finger. "Ah, yes!"

Perfectly on cue, two more people appeared by him, one on each side. They were heavily dressed, and both wearing masks. Sonia felt sweat forming on her temple. Now if Ling really wanted to, he could easily kidnap her with the help of these two.

She gives one of them a cautious smile, but they remain tight-lipped. The other doesn't look any friendlier, so Sonia doesn't even try.

One of them leans over to whisper to Ling, yet don't dare to take their eyes off her.

"Yes!" he exclaimed cheerily. "This is my new friend, Sonia! Introduce yourselves."

Both seemed hesitant, but eventually one stepped around the table in front of her. She stood up so she wouldn't feel so small.

"Sonia," she titled, sticking her hand out for the stranger to shake. They took her hand firmly in theirs, then took off the mask with the other.

"Lan Fan," the Xingese girl said in a serious tone. Sonia gave her a smile, and this time she returned it with a small one of her own.