Chapter Twelve

Shrinking Hearts

"i see so many things that can hurt you. i should've never let one of them be me."

-garnet, steven universe.

•••

Edward awoke in a hospital. As soon as he realized that, he cursed and grimaced at the dull pains in his body. He knew if he tried to get up it would hurt like hell, so he stayed put, waiting for someone to notice.

Lucky for him, he didn't have to wait long, for his two guards walked in together. They smiled at him.

"So you're awake then?"

"Everything hurts," he complained childishly.

"You put this on yourself, Edward." Maria Ross scolded.

"She's right," Brosh agreed, giving him the same stern look Ross did. The two officers looked at each other, then nodded.

With a straight salute and a slightly nervous demeanor, Brosh and Ross yelled,

"We apologize in advance for this Mr. Elric sir!"

"Huh?"

Before Ed could process the situation, he felt his head spin, his cheek sting, and he could hear a 'slap!' echo through the room.

The young alchemist's blank look frightened the sergeant and the lieutenant.

"Edward..?"

"Oh." Ed's gaze refocused and he slowly turned his head to face them again. The two stood to attention once more.

"You and your brother were being very reckless back there! You could have gotten yourselves hurt!"

"You can trust us, Edward. Not everyone is against you, you know?"

Ed seemed to understand and nodded his head.

The two snapped a salute once again.

"We are truly sorry! Please forgive us! We will accept any punishment put onto us by you!" They shouted in almost perfect unison.

Ed held his injured cheek in his hand, confused. "Punishment? What do you mean? Yeah, I had that coming, it's fine." Maria and Denny almost fell to the floor in relief.

"Why are you guys so nervous around me?"

"Ah, State Alchemists are equivalent to a Major. You technically rank above us and could get us into heaps of trouble if you wanted to."

"Oh. Well, I think I deserved it."

"T-then good. You know Ed, you don't always have to do things on your own. You got yourself hurt, and others too." Maria chided at him as if he were her son.

"Sonia is still unconscious, by the way," Brosh pointed out.

Ed practically jumped at that.

"She is? I totally forgot about her! Is she okay? Where is she?"

"Slow your roll, Ed! She's fine. Just a little concussion. She's in the next room over."

"Yeah, she'll get a lecture when she wakes up too. I already gave Alphonse his." The sergeant lifted up a swollen hand. "Although, I don't think my hits were very effective..."

"Oh," Ed laughed. "Where is he anyway?" He looked around.

"I dunno. He's been walking around the hospital for some time now."

"Hmph. That's weird. He usually stays here with me.

"But anyway, can you help me up? I kinda have to make a phone call." He twitched and glared at his automail arm that was thrown into a sling. Yep, he'd have to call Winry. And he'd get so much hell for it.