Chapter Nine

The Two Guardians

my secrets are burning a høle in my heart
& my bønes catch a fever.

-bring me the hørizøn.

Sonia stood outside the Elric brother's dorm room, listening to Lieutenant Ross and Sergeant Brosh converse about the Philosopher's Stone. She squeezed her eyes shut and leaned back on the wall behind her. Although she heard the news firsthand hours earlier, she was still processing it all.

'The Philosopher's Stone... multiple human sacrifices... Tim Marcoh...' She frowned in irritation and anxiety. Anything more and she was afraid of having a panic attack. She hadn't had one since she was younger.

'After Jocelyn died...'

"I never knew the government could be involved in something so... inhumane." Brosh's voice echoed into the dim hallways a little too loudly. Seconds later, the three had a shadow looking over them.

"A-Armstrong!" Ross, Brosh, and Sonia exchanged worried glances.

"What did I hear?" the Major asked in a booming voice. "The Philosopher's Stone?"

Sonia glared at the soldiers next to her. They sighed and retold the uncomfortable information. Armstrong couldn't believe it.

"How can this be true?! I must ask the Elric brothers!" He turns to the door, only to figure out it's locked.

"Open this door, Elric brothers! I must speak to you!"

"Major, I don't think that's a good-" Before Sonia can get out her sentence, Armstrong breaks the door down, which is only a tiny obstacle for him.

"-idea..." she muttered out, but it was easily unheard by Armstrong's blubbering.

"Who would have had ever thought the Philosopher's Stone held such a secret burden! What calamity!"

Edward and Alphonse glared daggers at Brosh, Ross, and Sonia, who all stood in the doorway. "We told you not to tell anyone!" They hissed like snakes.

"The truth can be so harmful and cruel!"

Ed's eyes widened in realization and he hit his palm of his hand with his automail. "Wait, that's it!"

"Hm?" Sonia questioned, stepping into the room.

"The truth," he breathed. Al and Sonia exchanged confused glances.

"The truth that lies within the truth. Marcoh told us that. Maybe it means something more. Maybe there's something else."

"What are you saying, Ed?"

"Major, do you have a map of the city?"

As convenient as it was, he had a map in his inner coat pocket. He unfolded it and set it on the table. Everyone circled around it.

"So the military currently owns four labs in Central City. Now which one did Marcoh have connections to?"

"I believe he tested in Lab #3. That would surely be ye place where his research took place." Armstrong supplied.

"I'm not so sure about that."

Ed pointed to a place on the map.

"What's this? Why is it crossed out?"

"Ah," Ross said, realizing. "That's the Fifth Laboratory. It was shut down and abandoned."

"Is that our place?" Sonia asked.

"Yep, I'm sure of it."

"But how, brother?"

"Tell me if I'm wrong, but there's a prison right next to it." Edward's frown was now apparent on his features. Sonia's face darkened as she caught on to what he was saying.