Chapter Thirty Seven

it's easier to see what you have when you can see what your neighbor lacks

-hotel books

•••

Sonia slept in. To her surprise, no one stopped her. It was about two hours until noon. She still felt so exhausted.

Throwing off the covers, she slipped on her boots and stumbled out of her door. She felt that one homunculus was nearby, but only one. It put her on edge. But for everyone else in the household, it was just another day. She would have to adapt to this type of lifestyle, no matter how strange it was.

After taking a quick trip to the bathroom and changing into a button up shirt and some jeans she headed to the dining room, feeling presences there. Surely she could get some breakfast and be off. That was her plan, at least.

Sonia met Mrs. Bradley in the dining hall, where she ushered the young lady to a chair to eat, explaining she thought it best not to wake her up.

"My husband left early this morning, but Selim is in the study with his teacher."

"Ah."

She eats in silence and alone, being the only one eating breakfast late. The scones were very delicious, though. Now pondering it, she hadn't had an actual meal in such a long time. It's as if everything had slowed down and she had all the time in the world in this house. She was usually always moving, making her sleeping and eating and anything else come after her tasks at hand.

She lets time drag on for a bit, thanking the servants and going to her room to write her thoughts in her journal from her suitcase. After though, she's so squirrelly she can't bear it.

Sonia wonders to herself why she is so nervous to ask to go out. With Roy, it was different, even in the beginning. Mostly because they went to work together, came home together and, well, were connected to the hip for most of her earlier teen years. The more she approached into becoming a woman, she branched off into different things. She went on more expeditions across the country, where she eventually met Ed and Alphonse on one.

'That was the turning point into this entire adventure. Meeting the Elrics,' she realized.

"Those damn brothers," she said to herself then smirked. She knew it was just as much her nosy nature that got her into this as it was the Elric's pure nature to right any wrong they came across. They never give up no matter how futile things seem, and Sonia could only hope that could rub off on her. If only she knew it was inside of her all this time, and that it was already unlocked.

•••

'I can do this.'

The teenager's hand was clenched into a fist near her temple, getting ready to knock on a certain queen of the country's door. She closes her eyes and gently taps twice. When the door opens, she's rigid.

"Hello dear. Did you need something?"

"I, uh, was wondering if I could go out?" She hated how her voice got higher and higher after every word.

The older woman put a hand on her shoulder. She relaxed instantly. (Was she really that starved of touch by a motherly figure?)

"Of course, that's fine."

"Thank you."

"Do you mind taking a guard, though, honey?"

Sonia frowned. "I don't think that's necessary. I am a state alchemist after all." She subconsciously reached for her pocket watch.

"And Mr. Bradley is the most powerful man in the country. He has guards, too. This isn't about strength, Sonia, this is about protection. You're a part of the royal family now. Unfortunately, that means you're more likely to be targeted."