Chapter Six

Unheard Goodbyes

I really fucked it up this time,
didn't I, my dear?

-mumford & sons. 

•••

Roy Mustang was going crazy. He was mad and confused. He was going to send a certain short blonde alchemist to hell.

'Not now,' he thought. 'I have to see her first.'

A little while before, he had gotten a call from his second lieutenant, and he was told that Sonia was just admitted to the hospital.

"They said they would do the best they could, sir."

That still wasn't good enough.

'I have to see her now.'

He decided to take leave and have his trusty lieutenant watch over his crew while he was gone. He rose up from his chair and left to the car.

"She better be safe, or else," Roy muttered, driving away quickly. He bit his lip. Mustang was pissed off.

He had barely understood what happened to Sonia, and now she was in the hospital, thanks to Scar. When Hawkeye had first told him, it felt like he could barely breathe. He was furious and unable to think clearly, but most of all, Roy Mustang was nervous.

Sonia was important to him. He had to look after her, and now he had failed to do just that. Siblings are siblings, blood or not. No matter how much of a pain she could be, he still cared about her.

He ran a hand through his black hair and stepped out of the car. He walked hastily into the hospital.

He put his hands on the front desk and the lady jumped. He spoke quickly.

"I'm looking for someone. Her name is Sonia, Sonia Moran. She was admitted here about three hours ago. She is a state alchemist who was hurt by Scar."

The receptionist, a bit frightened by him, answered hesitantly.

"She's in room 313C, o-on the second floor."

Mustang didn't bother to say thank you. Instead, he strode all the way to her room, bursting through the doors and alarming the nurse.

"Excuse me, but who are you?" The young nurse carrying a clipboard asked.

"Roy Mustang. I'm Sonia's legal guardian and her step-brother. How is she?"

The nurse, Carrie, as Mustang noted by seeing her nametag, sighed and looked off her clipboard.

"She's doing just fine, but she hasn't woken up yet. It's a miracle she's alive, but only time will tell if it stays that way. She lost a lot of blood. The scar came up to her top right rib then down to her left hipbone. We tried to give her as little stitches as possible, so the scar will close up. Her heart rate is normal, and her brainwaves are still flowing like a regular person's would. Anything else you'll have to ask Dr. Bracy."

"That's fine. I just wanted to see her."

"Alright then, I'll leave you alone for a bit." He nodded affirmatively.

With all questions and concerns answered, Nurse Carrie left the room. Mustang sighed and pulled up a chair by her bedside.

"Kid, what am I going to do with you?" he asked, skating his head and smiling a bit. He let out a breath and his hands found his hair again.

"This is all my fault."

Even though she was asleep, Mustang could picture her arguing him about his statement.

"I never should've let you go on a mission with Fullmetal. I should've never let you meet him. He hurt you, Sonia. You could've died because of him. Hell, you almost did!" He shook his head.

"You almost did." He let the repeated sentence hang in the air. Mustang didn't know if he could truly forgive Edward. He sighed. Sonia would forgive Ed, he knew that much. She was forgiving and understandable. (Well, most of the time.) She was kindhearted, maybe too much for her own good. Why else would she be so thoughtless as to risk her life to save another's?

Roy sighed. He knew she heard none of it; she was still sound asleep. He kept his gaze on her until the nurse appeared once again.

"Excuse me sir, but you'll have to leave soon. Visiting hours are almost over."

Mustang nodded. "I was just about to take my leave. Thank you."

With another sad smile directed to Sonia, the Colonel left.

"I'll be back tomorrow."

•••

Just as Roy promised, he came to see her again the next day. Except, a short blonde and a tall suit of armor had accompanied him. Despite Mustang's current anger and hatred for Edward, he filled him in on what the nurse had told him. They were only there for Sonia, after all.

Now here were the three, staring at her practically lifeless body.

"So she hasn't woken up at all?" Ed asked the Colonel, yet didn't take his eyes off the girl. His hands gripped the bedside.

"That's what the nurse said," Roy replied, seeming careless. Ed scoffed.

"Why are you even here if you don't care?" he muttered under his breath.

"Why are you here?!" Mustang snarled back, raising his voice. Alphonse, being the sweet cinnamon roll who was too pure for this world, stood in between them both.

"Brother and I are only here to say bye before we leave to Resembool." Fullmetal nodded in agreement. Alphonse looked back at Sonia.

"When do you think she'll wake up?" the suit of armor asked, his glowing eyes staring at her closed ones. Mustang glanced at the heart monitor as if it had all the answers.

"I don't know."

"I hope it's soon," Ed mumbled. He hated seeing someone in pain because of him.

'I'm so sorry. This is all my fault..'

"I hope you'll forgive me." Edward turned away, then walked out. Al said a quiet goodbye as well and followed his brother.

Roy came over and squeezed her limp hand.

"Wake up soon, kid."

His eyes grazed over everything in the room, as if he was missing something. He absentmindedly shook his head and left, catching up with the two brothers. They all walked to the car silently. It was when the car was back on the road that Al spoke up.

"Brother," he whispered, "I'm worried about her."

Ed sighed. "Which is why we have to make the trip to Resembool quick." Al nodded in agreement.

"Don't worry yourselves," Mustang cut in. "Sonia's strong. She'll be awake and recover by the time you both get back, I can promise you that. She's a strong
one." He whispered his last statement as the car came to a stop in front of the Eastern Command Center.

"Now get out," Roy spoke again, pointing at the car door. "I don't want you to come in contact with Sonia again. Leave her alone."

"What?!" Ed exclaimed after he got out of the car. The door was still open, and the Colonel got a view of the angry and confused expression on the young alchemist's face. "What the hell?!"

"Colonel, you can't be serious!" Al added in.

"I am. Don't try it."

"What the hell is your problem?!"

"You hurt her. That's my problem."

Roy Mustang leaned over and slammed the car door closed, then drove away.