Chapter Fifteen

Broken Ties

sometimes i think i've moved onto so much more,
but sometimes i am not sure
and now and again i feel weak to the lure.

-man verboard.

•••

To be fair, Sonia gave him one second, and a half of another. Then she proceeded to kick Edward in his side. He fell to the floor easily, and she comically dusted her shoes off. Al and Winry watched in confusion.

"That feels a little better," she admitted.

Ed groaned from the floor. "What was that for, Sonia?" he asked through heavy breathing. He shook and clutched his stomach. Sonia sighed and held a hand out.

"Get up. We need to talk. Like, now."

Seeing the hard look in her eyes, Ed nodded and took her hand in his automail one. He tightened his grip, and she winced as he rose up from the floor. When she made a sour face at him, he returned it with an innocent grin.

They let go of each other's hands and Sonia walked away, expecting him to follow. Alphonse and Winry didn't know what else to do, so they followed too. Once they were all again standing in front of Edwards hospital room, Sonia told the two to wait outside until they were done talking. They hesitantly agreed.

Ed walked in first, and the other was about to enter as well when the younger brother stopped her.

"Sonia," he said, putting an oversized gloved hand on her shoulder. "Whatever Brother did, he probably did it for a reason. Hear him out, okay? And, uh, don't kill him."

She scowled and popped her knuckles.

"No promises."

The door shut behind her.

Edward sat on his bed, his slipper shoes already removed, leaving him barefoot. She pulled up a chair next to him, thinking of exactly what to say. There was no easy way to put it, and a tiny bit of her still wanted to beat him to a pulp.

"So, uh..." Ed ran a hand through his bangs nervously. "What did you want to talk to me about?"

She crossed her arms over her chest. "I want to know why you lied to me."

He looked taken aback. "What?"

"You lied to me, Ed." She stood up. "And I want to know why. My own sister is a homunculus, and you didn't bother to tell me? Did you not think it was that important?" She rambled on for a while, pacing around the room and making wild hand gestures to express her anger.

At some point, Ed had stood up as well and tried to stop her movements. "Hey, stop. Sonia, quit it!" It took his cold automail grip on her wrist to make her still.

"Hey, would you listen to me for a sec?!" he finally raised his voice in frustration. She grew silent. The hand wrapped firmly around her arm was starting to hurt.

"Edward..." He ignored her quiet protest.

"Look," he stared down at the floor, taking glances up at her. "I'm sorry. I should've said something. I didn't mean to lie to you."

"Then why did you?"

"I..." He didn't know how to answer, so he shut his mouth.

"I can't figure you out, Ed! Did you just not care, or what?!" Her words were becoming explosive again, and he couldn't stand it.

"Of course I cared! What was I supposed to tell you?!"

"The truth! Friends don't lie to each other!"